1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Newbie with an older monitor question

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by CHETT, Mar 24, 2009.

  1. CHETT

    CHETT Active Member

    I have a pair of old studio monitors, Professional Audio Systems studio monitor 3's and a pair of crossovers that came with them aswell. I will be needing someone to point me in the right direction to get these things running in my home. What sort of power do they need etc etc etc......any advice much appreciated.
  2. RemyRAD

    RemyRAD Well-Known Member

    You are going to be using them in your home for entertainment? Or are you assembling a home studio?

    Otherwise, I never heard of those? Either way, it really depends on how loudly you are going to crank them up? For most applications, I've found 150 Watts per channel has been more than adequate to wake the dead. No less than 75. But even if continuous power ratings stated are "50 Watts" for the speaker, it should still be able to handle peaks that are four times higher. So you can never have too much power in your amplifier. Under powering your speakers can actually blow them out easier than larger amplifiers. This is because when a lower powered amplifier "clips out", from excessive level, it generates a lot of high-frequency harmonic distortion which has a tendency to blow up high frequency drivers. Make sure you use a good-quality 12 to 10 gauge AC electrical wiring "zip cord". Loss in the speaker cable, with a gauge of that diameter, isn't a problem up to 100 feet. Good amplifiers aren't cheap nor light.

    Speakers will sound significantly different when driven from different kinds/types/manufacturers amplifier designs. I prefer direct coupled outputs to "Auto-Transformer" coupled outputs. Just a personal preference. Unfortunately, I only have a single Macintosh 30 watt tube amplifier, which makes my decision making a little easier. It sounds incredible but I actually prefer my Crown DC300A-II. But hey, it's great for the center speaker. Right, I don't have a center speaker... At least none I've bothered to install yet. But when I do...

    JBL/KRK longtime user
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  3. CHETT

    CHETT Active Member

    ^^^Thanks for the reply but I don't think 150w is going to cut it, the monitors have three 15" drivers and the one in the bottom enclosure has a horn in it?!?!?!
  4. jg49

    jg49 Well-Known Member

    Are you sure these are "studio" monitors? I thought PAS mostly built sound reinforcement products (stage equipment.) It sounds like from your description these are PA speakers, I mean three 15" speakers? Maybe you live in a barn or are suffering from hearing loss, because you probably will be if you are driving these at level high enough to accurately reproduce good sound. Maybe you could provide a link or perhaps a SMALL photo.
  5. moonbaby

    moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

    This sounds like PAS's early version of the UREI "Big Red" monitors.
    I was a PAS dealer back in the early 80's, I vaguely remember these. PAS started out with designs that used coaxial horn/driver combinations, and featured drivers by JBL and TAD. Most of their gear was, as stated earlier, designed for live sound, but they did build studio playback systems as well.
    It might behoove you to have a pro speaker service check these out, IF you have a room big enough to play them in.
  6. TheJackAttack

    TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

    I ran a PA rig with PAS monitors and speakers and subs from 1998-2002. The speakers and monitors were biamped (4 pole speakon) and of course the subs were not. The crossover is definitely needed for good results. They sounded good and were rock solid. While I liked them, I'm not sure I would want them as studio monitors for already mentioned reasons of room size/volume requirements and my FOH cabinets were dual 15's with a center driver.
  7. CHETT

    CHETT Active Member

    The room they are in is big enough. Moon you are right about the JBL's and they came from a very large recording studio here. The plan is to rock down the house when I have parties, plus I love my 80's Hard Rock loud.
  8. moonbaby

    moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

    Well, I still have a pair of single-15 PAS coax boxes that can be used as wedges or on poles. They really rock, even after a camel ride pulled them down and dragged them across a field...
  9. Davedog

    Davedog Distinguished Member

    I remember the PAS stuff. I actually thought it was pretty darn good. I also remember those studio monitors that were for all intents and purposes built like the Uries. I even recorded in a studio which had a pair with the single 15 w/ the center horn in the soffitts. I've never seen the ones you have.

    So go real big power if thats what you're looking for. Theres a lot of big power amps out there these days....1000watts a side if you want. I'm sure those things will handle that kind of abuse.
  10. CHETT

    CHETT Active Member

    Dave where in the Pacific Northwest are you from?
  11. Davedog

    Davedog Distinguished Member

    Portland Oregon....Green and grey most days of the winter....

Share This Page