1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Next addition to my Mic Locker. Advice?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by bradb, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bradb

bradb Guest

Hello everyone,

I'm in need of a little direction in my next mic purchase.

Here's what I have:

Sennheiser MD-421
    Shure SM58
    Shure SM-57
    Shure SM-57
    AKG D112
    Audio Technica PRO37
    AKG C414 XLII
    AKG C414 XLII

Here are my pre's:
    Hamptone 2ch. tube
    Sytek (w/BB on 3&4)
    Seventh Circle Audio 2ch. A12 (on the way)

Here's what I'm trying to do:

1) Record rock and roll, generally in a instrument by instrument/overdub situation... record drums, then guitars, then organ, etc etc.
    2) Record singer/songwriter stuff, stereo acoustic guitar, small percussion.
    3) Perhaps record in a live situation, drums, guitar, organ all at once.

Here's what I'm thinking:
    1) Get the josephson C42s so I will have a matched pair of SDC, should be great for acoustic, an alternative for the c414s for overheads.
    2) Get a royer ribbon mic, great for guitars and acoustic guitar (but I can only get one now... what about stereo acoustic? later I could get another)
    3) I'd also like to get another switchable pattern LDC for room/vocals. AT4050? Studio Projects T3? what are better brands?

---what do you guys think?

My budget....>$1.3k mics are out of my budget.

Thanks a million!

2. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Hey Brad, first off I'd like thank you for posing your question in a way that doesn't leave us wanting more info. Thanks for saving us time.

I would say look into a matched pair of avensons ($500 for both).
    And then an AEA R84. (about $975).

With this set-up you have 3 very versatile mics that can be used for mucho sources. It seems like you have the LDC covered with the 414's

My .02