1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Next purchase for Home Studio?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by enjoirock, Sep 24, 2006.

1. enjoirock

enjoirock Guest

Hello all -

Just wanted to get some opinions on what to get next for the home studio. Have about $1500. I record mostly for myself, but am starting to help friends out. Mainly acoustic guitars, upright bass, upright piano, light percussion, male vocals. Damien Rice/John Mayer style. I'm working with an iso room about 10' x 12' and a 13'x22' control room; all with with 8' ceilings. Rooms have been sound treated.

I have a few basics:
    - Cubase SX on a PC.
    - Firepod
    - GT Brick
    - Soundelux u195
    - Pair of XML 603s'
    - KSM27
    - Pair of JBL 4311's
    - Two Crown DC300a's (Pretty old - starting to crackle here and there)
    - Mogami Cables throughout

I've been considering:
    - New amplifier for 4311's
    - Presonus Central Station
    - Vmp-2000eVU
    - Powered Monitors
    - More mics?

I've been reading threads for about two hours now, and there's just so much out there that I don't really know where to go from here. I really appreciate any replies.

Thanks,
    -Michael

2. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

Hi Michael

I'd deffinately be adding another preamp to that list.
    And as much as I love my Sebatron, it's deffinately not my first choice for acoustic instruments. Also you already have a tube pre there in the "Brick".
    I'm going to recommend the other pre that I have which is very clean and clear, and compliments my Seb nicely. That's the Buzz Audio SSA1.1 and it fits in your budget. http://www.atlasproaudio.com/buzz.html
    This is my first choice for capturing the detail of acoustic instruments.

3. enjoirock

enjoirock Guest

Thanks Mark! I'll definitely check it out.