1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

nob help needed with Layla 20

Discussion in 'Recording' started by maclamb, Mar 27, 2007.

1. maclamb

maclamb Guest

I recently tried a used layla 20 unit with my band. We like the sound quality. However, I am having problems with the software and its interaction with Layla and could use some help. I have experience with Self-contained hard disk recording units, but not PC based recording.

I tried cakewalk guitar tracks (GT) demo - which seemed to work ok, except for one thing.
    I could not figure out/get the software to "split" tracks.
    meaning- channel 1 on GT I set to layla Left channel 1 input (guitar1)
    Channel 2 on GT I set to layla right channel 2 input (vocals)
    However, during recording the tracks recorded together. I cannot figure out how to record them "separately".

I'm sure it's something simple I am not getting. I SHOULD be able to record each layla input (one thru eight) as a separate track, right? then play back through the lalya outputs to my mixer and mix via our PA, Yes?

Ideally I'd like this setup to record:

ch 1 - guitar 1
    ch 2 - bass
    ch 3 & 4 - vocal mix from PA mixer
    ch 5 & 6 - drum mix from drum mixer
    ch 7 - guitar 2

My assumption is I want the two 2 channel inputs (vocals and drums) each panned full left or right to allow better panning control during playback/mixdown, yes?

Am I understanding this right?

thanks in advance

I don't really want to sell all this and go to a Korg D888 if I don't have to.
    PC is a compaq P4 2.5Ghz, 512 ram, 120G hd (7200Rpm) - I am upgrading ram to 1Gig shortly.

Going forward, I'd rather not use GT - I found Reaper and that seems to fit my needs - I want a simple, non-complicated software to record and playback. I'll do mixing-production using more complicated software on my mac. I just need to get the basic WAV tracks recorded easily (and cheaply ;-)
  2. ihooft

ihooft Guest

I don't know much about GT, but it sounds like you're recording to a stereo track. Try creating a mono track and assign each input to a separate track.
  3. maclamb

maclamb Guest

Actually -selecting Left or Right is what sets the channel to mono according to the docs - this is what I did and it still came out stereo. (there's 3rd choice for stereo - I was careful NOT to select this)