1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Noise during Recording! Electric Current Noise?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by mactreouser, Jul 26, 2016.

1. mactreouser

mactreouser Active Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Attached mp3 was showing the NOISE that I was/am facing during recording section. What was that issue and where was it come from, still, how to solve it?

Recording setup:
    MacBook Pro
    USB Audio Interface
    Mic XLR input
    Power supplies from the same source

Attached Files:

2. Sean G

Sean G Moderator Resource Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Sydney, Australia
    Try a process of elimination.

Out of curiosity, what driver and interface are you using?

If you haven't tried these already -

1) Try adjusting the buffer settings for your audio interface. A buffer size set too low or on a wrong size can cause crackles and pops.

2) Try installing the ASIO4ALL driver found here http://www.asio4all.com/ and you should always use the latest version with any driver.

3) Try another USB cable to eliminate a fault with the current one.

4) Try another XLR cable if you have another.

5) Try unplugging the power supply from the MacBook Pro...some power supplies for laptops can cause issues when recording audio. If this is the problem replace the power supply.

My money is on 1)...the buffer size ;)

Hope this helps.

- Sean.
  3. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    On hearing the noise from your sample, I too would have said a buffer or other driver problem. However, the waveforms tell a different story.

Before interpreting those, I have to ask: are the clicks you recorded absolutely raw, done with simple I/O and without any waveform processing or other manipulation in your DAW?

Please specify the make and model of your microphone and audio interface, and also the DAW you are using.
  4. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    Same here. It's almost certainly something on the digital side of things.