Noise reduction plug ins for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mixing & Editing' started by Neil the K, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Neil the K

Neil the K Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Using Mac OS 10.8.2 with Digital Performer 7.24 . . is there any AU software that is similar to Bias 'Soundsoap' that will run on this OS? Soundsoap is incompatible, and Bias is out of business. Everything I've found is either too complicated, too expensive, or requires an i-Lok. I primarily want to remove ambient background noise from vocal recordings. Thanks for any assistance!
  2. thatjeffguy

thatjeffguy Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Vashon Island, Washington
    Home Page:
    I use Izotope Denoiser for this with great success. Don't know if they have an AU version, I use the VST version. But Google it and find their homepage for details. The program samples the noise and reverses it out. Very simple to use and very effective.

3. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Mexico City
    Home Page:
    Another vote for izotope, not cheap but sounds great.
  4. mindprint

mindprint Active Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Just an FYI you can download most plugins and try it for free for at least 14 or so days, so waves, wavearts, Izotope RX. so try see if its working for you and no need to buy it if it didn't do the job right, but at least you will be able to do the job and try it out
  5. hueseph

hueseph Distinguished Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I just got this info from Sony Creative. They've just release Sound Forge for Mac. I don't think it comes as a plugin but it does have noise reduction functionality. It's more of a mastering software from what I understand but it's otherwise a full fledged DAW. I've personally never used it but I'm sure others here have, at least on PC.
  6. Else Logic

Else Logic Active Member

Jan 3, 2013
    The Denoiser bult in into logic does a great job for me!
  7. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Moderator (Distinguished Member) Resource Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Akron/Cleveland, OH
    Home Page:
    The NR plug ins that come resident with Sound Forge are , well, "meh"...

Yeah, they're "okay"... but I don't think they are breaking new ground or anything.

I think he'd be better off with dedicated NR/Restoration software.... but, as noted, they aren't that cheap.