1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Noisy Input Device Chain

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by mark4man, May 25, 2003.

1. mark4man

mark4man Active Member

Well...

The new PC (Dell 8250) is set up, SONAR 2.2 & WaveLab 4.0 installed; & the OS (XP) is optimized for digital audio multitracking.

The new Audio Interface (LynxTWO) sounds incredible; & it has such a high quality analog front end that it picked up a problem with my input device chain I never knew I had.

Most of my basic band tracks are written as MIDI sequences; & played by my sound module (Roland JV-1010.) Anyone who has been around PC recording for a while realizes that sound modules are notorious for weak output staging...my JV-1010 has never had enough output gain to record a full scale track in any multitracking app (with any sound card or audio interface), so I preamp it through a PreSonus "BlueTube."

With the LynxTWO, the meters in the console (both input & output) bottom out at -114 dB (I love it.) First thing I notice, with the gear hooked up & all levels down, is noise activity at the very base of the scale...hovering around -110 dB. I thought, "this is fabulous...the first time I've ever witnessed my own equipment's noise floor." I was happy.

Then I kicked up the volume on the sound module & preamp enough to record a full scale signal in SONAR.

Now, there's meter activity hovering around -60db! Brought up the volume on my monitoring system; & it was ugly (at high volume, of course.) I managed to get the buzz out with an iso xformer, but the white noise is still there.

So...my question is:

This can't be normal, right?

This is the same equipment I used before my studio upgrade; & my recordings have always sounded pretty clean.

Could this be due to more sensitivity in a higher quality front end?

Is this much background noise "normal" out of a consumer/semi-pro grade preamp (pushing a consumer/semi-pro grade sound module)?

It's difficult to tell, since I also have a new studio monitoring system, but I think the noise level may be comparable to my previous setup; & it's audible in the extreme only at high volume...but -60dB of meter activity (meaning there's -60dB of something going on)??? That seems like a lot to me. My connections are all matched correctly...I'm using Monster audio cables...the input trim is correct...

...any thoughts or ideas from the regulars?

I would certainly appreciate any input.

Thanks much,

mark4man

2. kevinwhitect

kevinwhitect Active Member

Geez guy....same thing I said in the other forum....

What? You didn't believe me?

:D

Kev.