1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

noisy recordings from computer

Discussion in 'Recording' started by infamis, Jan 4, 2002.

1. infamis

infamis Guest

how can I reduce the noise caused [internally] by the computer? I know it's not the room or nothing because if I plug in some headphones and turn the volume all the way up [without playing anything] I can hear the noise. I'm trying to record some vocals through the mic-in jack.

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Ummm....you need to give me more info than that my friend!! What card are you using? What software? What is your system specs on the computer? What type of noise are you hearing? Is it more of a buzz or more of a hissing sound? What type of mic is it? How are you going into the sound card with the mic? thru a mixer first or just directly into the card?
    Opus

3. infamis

infamis Guest

soundcard: generic esssolo1
    system specs: compaq presario, 64mb ram, 6.3gb hdd
    the sound is like a hissing with high pitches...hard to explain.

thenoise.csv

and actually I don't even have to have the mic plugged in to have this noise.

but the mic is directly connected to the mic-in jack [it's one of the "multimedia" headphone-mic combinations]

4. Opus2000

well...here's one reason..the soundcard has converters on it..these converters are housed in a computer system and sitting on the PCI bus..noisy right from the start!!
    Second...it's a generic sound card..you may need to go into the windows sound system properties and lower the volume on the input and/or output!
    You may have some cables internally too close to the sound card..you may need to move the sound card to another PCI slot to move it away from other cards and/or gear.
    i cant give you a simple do this fix because there really isnt one for a generic sound card such as yours.
    Sorry
    Opus

5. infamis

infamis Guest

okay, I'll try to see what happens, but I am gonna get a real soundcard someday. are there any recommendations for any good ones under $100 [I'm 16 w/o a job and don't have money to be spending on expensive stuff]...

6. Opus2000

Ummm...go to Ebay or Digibid to look for cards under a 100 smackaroos...you really cant get much for that type of money dude...time to hit that paper route for awhile to save up some money for a real card
    Opus

7. Teacher

Teacher Guest

Lexicon Core2 cost $150 new so u can most def find it on ebay for cheaper it has a break out box which should eliminate the noise ur computer emits

8. Opus2000

Teacher....you shouldnt reccomend cards like that!! Those cards are more problematic than any other card(except the Adat Edit) I've dealt with...Plus they've been discontinued for a reason..they suck!! lol!
    Opus