1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Not happy with my RODE NT1-A

Discussion in 'Recording' started by bigdaddybluesman, Jan 7, 2008.

1. I tried it with all my pres and it seems to sound better with the Summit 2BA-221 over the UA LA 610 and Great River.

Not that I have a good singing voice, but the other pres don't seem to like the RODE.

Any opinions on a better for me mic?

Any experience with Studio Projects mics?

I need more of a punchy sound with some balls. It seems that I have to add so much compression after the recording. It makes my voice sound dull and lifeless. I have more of a natural lower resonance that the mic does not pic up at all.

I might just have to keep on working with it.

Any advice?

It could be the room too.

2. mobilelab

mobilelab Active Member

This may be a silly question, but it relates to the technique, not the mic. You mentioned adding compression after the mix. Do you track your vocals w/ compression as well, or just add them later? If not, this step would almost certainly help pic up your lower resonance. Hope this helps.

3. mobilelab

mobilelab Active Member

This may be a silly question, but it relates to the technique, not the mic. You mentioned adding compression after the mix. Do you track your vocals w/ compression as well, or just add them later? If not, this step would almost certainly help pic up your lower resonance. Hope this helps.

4. I tried both.

I use the Roland VS 2400 which has a compressor in it. Without that compressor the vocals are just nothing, so I may just end up recording with it.

I even tried the compressor in the LA 610 and a DBX 166. It seems like the VS 2400 does not want to see a compressed signal.

I just have to keep working with it.