1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Not quite sure how to approach this...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by sshack, Mar 12, 2008.

1. sshack

sshack Active Member

Let me see if I can explain what I'm thinking. Rather than babble and try to form it as a question, I think I'll just plaster the facts of my scenario.

========================================

I have a Duet, so I'm limited to two channels (at a time).

I want to be able to record more than 2 at a time, perhaps up to 5 or 6.

I record electric guitar, acoustic guitar, vox, bass...never drums. I don't see that in the future either. Maybe keys some day soon.

I have a few pieces of outboard gear that I wouldn't mind trying to use in my recordings; reverb, delay, chorus, etc.

I have a single channel preamp right now (GR), but would like to get more in the future.

=========================================

Ok, so given that info, it's obvious that the things that I want to do can't happen with my setup, specifically with the Duet. Which leads me to the 'question' part of all of this.....

Will something like an Ensemble allow me to do what I want? Being 8 channel instead of 2, is that the 'simple' answer?

Will it allow me to integrate outboard gear if/when I desire?

What if down the road I have a few more preamps that I'd like to use, but I don't want to have to "unplug this to plug in that" sort of thing...integration of multiple pres basically. Just choose what I want and go for it.

Would a mixer be a viable solution...something like an Onyx?

==========================================

I'm going to stop there. I know that's a lot, but I don't know how to put it all out there in any more of a simple fashion. I respect the advice that you guys offer, so I don't want to waste your time with none sense. Cuttin' to the chase.

Thank you.

2. From looking at the specs from the Apogee site, I think the Ensemble mite work for you.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/ensemble.php?show=features

However...

Although it has 8 channels of AD/DA conversion only 4 of these channels are balanced XLR connections with built in mic pre amps, the other 4 are jacks, so if you are going to be using more than 4 mics then i'd say no.

Also there is only an insert on Mic Channels 1 & 2 so you would be limited to 2 dynamic effects units.

You could get a mixer which would allow you to use the FX units you mentioned but you would still be limited to these 4 channels on the interface. The mixer would do if you just wanted to record a stereo track into your existing interface.

3. sshack

sshack Active Member

That's what I was thinking.

Nine times out of ten I just record myself, but I'm trying to look at possible scenarios where I may track another guitar player at the same time as me, or jamming with a bass player, etc.

Either way I would say 3 is the magic number and that would be based on me singing and playing at the same time, using two mics on a guitar.

Using the outboard gear isn't a deal breaker, I just thought it would be cool to have some room to experiment. And I love the ease of integration/usability of the Duet, so I have no problem (and actually prefer) staying with Apogee.

4. fourone3

fourone3 Active Member

You'll be able to have up to 5 simultaneous tracks with the Ensemble and your existing pre. You can use the existing 4 pres on the unit, then add your mic pre to one of the 4 line ins.

It looks expandable to a total of 8 I/O without getting extra gear, so you can use what's left for your outboard gear. For example, use analog out 8 to send to your reverb, then have it return to analog in 8, etc.

5. basilbowman

basilbowman Guest

Also check out the MOTU 896 series. You can pick them up pretty cheap on eBay used, and they've got 8in/20out and 96k in through firewire. It's pretty nifty...