1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Not Sure Of Recording Gear??? Need Help

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Binaural, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Binaural

Binaural Guest

Can some please help me figure out what kind of portable recording rig is being used in this video? It almost looks like DAT..Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance -Andrew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVX09VQlzyA
    :?

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

It's a Sony portable cassette deck. Its analog. He was playing with the cassette earlier in the video.

Don't go there
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. Binaural

Binaural Guest

Does the mic look familiar?

4. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

It's a consumer Sony stereo microphone. It's actually powered from the Sony recorder since the microphone connections have DC power on them. It's not phantom. This really isn't how recordings are made. People have pulled off cassette tracks but it's not something that's encouraged. As to the exact part numbers? What you see isn't made anymore.

I live in the past but not that past
    Ms. Remy Ann David

5. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Sony ECM-MS907

6. Binaural

Binaural Guest

more or less he's probably just using it for idea's.Thanks for all the help,much appreciated!

7. Binaural

Binaural Guest

will this deck with that mic?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-TCM-5000EV-3-head-VOR-Portable-Cassette-Recorder_W0QQitemZ140256001347QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140256001347&_trkparms=72:1074|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&timeout=1218556167882

8. Greener

Greener Guest

Will it what?

9. Binaural

Binaural Guest

will this deck with that mic?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-TCM-5000EV-3-head-VOR-Portable-Cassette-Recorder_W0QQitemZ140256001347QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140256001347&_trkparms=72:1074|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&timeout=1218556167882

10. Binaural

Binaural Guest

im sorry,will the mic work with this sony deck?

11. Greener

Greener Guest

Will the Sony ECM-MS907 work with the Sony TCM-5000EV?

Maybe is all I would say.

Why?

12. Binaural

Binaural Guest

I looking for something just to record basic idea's i come up with.Have any ideas?

13. Greener

Greener Guest

There is plenty of stuff waaaay handier than that dinosaur.

Where in the world are you and how much of your worldly dollars do you have to spend?

Something like a Korg MR1? I'm sure there are cheaper digital recorders with an inbuilt pre-amp.

14. trumpetprod

trumpetprod Active Member

I own a Sony ECM-MS907, and I think it's only good for voice, not so much with instruments though! But in the video it seems it's good for guitar, I tried it with trumpet.

15. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

No, not directly. The MS907 is a consumer-grade stereo mic with an internal battery for powering the output buffers. You would have to make an adaptor that performed resistive summing of the L and R outputs to a single mono minijack plug for it to work correctly with the TCM-5000EV.

Why, indeed.