1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Nubee To midi and synths needs guidence

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Divo, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Divo

Divo Guest

I am new to all this stuff but I would like to include midi and synth setups in my home studio so that I can learn and then earn. Any ideas as to what type of setup I should get that won't clean me out but will carry me for a reasonable time would be terrific..

Thanks in advance :confused:
  2. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Feb 28, 2001

It all depends on...

- what you want to do...record bands, sequence, mix, write tunes

- what style of music...jazz, classical, electronica

- how much you want to spend

Give us a little info and we'll try to help.
  3. dabmeister music

dabmeister music Active Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Woodbridge, Va
    Home Page:
    To Divo, I've been using a modest setup for some time now. My setup consists of a MOTU midiexpress xt & MTP A/V as my interfaces. I use 2 keyboards (a 61 key Ensoniq ASR10 & 76 key Roland A-70 controller) and a rack with a Kurzweil K2500RS module, Korg Triton rack, Korg 01R/W, Roland JV-1080 w/vintage synth & hiphop cards, Emu Planet Phat, TC/Helicon Voice Prism, Akai MPC4000 & Roland R-8 Drum machines. All of this is controlled by Cubase SX (just got it) and I love the editing features that's provided. I don't have any qerks or problems as this allows me to get it right (midi recording that is) before I record it to wave data. Now this is not a setup I'd advise to start with unless you have the budget to afford it but, it can give you an idea of what you'll need ie: a decent midi controller, midi interface/patchbay, & sound module or modules should get you started. It's nice to see others getting involved with this midi stuff. Peace :cool: