1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Ohms?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by PrideBoy, Mar 31, 2007.

1. PrideBoy

PrideBoy Guest

Will I have any problems if I connect a 4 ohms speakers like the JBL Control 1 to a receiver that is rated 8 ohms or higher only? If I will get problems what should I do so I can somehow play the speakers without problems?

2. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

If your amp is not rated for 4 ohms, do not risk it.

3. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

Yep you will have a problem. Thats doubling the load on your amplifier. Not a good Idea. Could be a nice way to make that burning electronics smell though.

4. PrideBoy

PrideBoy Guest

I found a speakers that is very very similar and it's called the JBL Control 1Xtreme and it uses the same size enclosures and woofers size and tweeters etc. The Xtreme is 8 ohms rated so what I was thinking to do is swich the crossovers so then the orginal Control 1 will be 8 ohms. Do you think this is a good idea since then it will be rated 8 ohms. Just to let you know everything will fit in both speakers since they are same cabinets.

5. PrideBoy

PrideBoy Guest

My receiver does have a overload protection built inside the amp so it it overloads it will shut off and turn back on safely. But do you guys still think I should not use the 4 ohms speakers?

6. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

No. If your amplifier was designed to be an 8 ohm amp, then that is what you have. If it were designed for multiple loads, they would have specified and tested it at UL, etc.

An 8 ohm speaker does not always present a linear 8 ohm load throughout the spectrum. Sometimes it is lower, sometimes higher. So why push this and endanger yourself and you amp with a 4 ohm speaker, by making it do what it was not designed to do?

7. PrideBoy

PrideBoy Guest

Well will it just damage the receiver if I connect the 4 ohms speakers to it or can it do any damage to the speakers too? Or is it likly only the amp will get damaged?

8. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Who knows?

Sending a distorted signal to a speaker will not blow it. Under powering a speaker will not blow it. A combination of those two may or may not do anything. But should your amp crap out and shoot straight DC to the speakers....you would have a problem.

Is this the only option for you or something?

9. PrideBoy

PrideBoy Guest

Well if I could I would like to be able to use the JBL Control 1 for music listening and as PC speakers but since my receiver is 8 ohms or higher rated I was seeing if there is a way I can somehow make it work without damaging the amp or the speakers.

10. PrideBoy

PrideBoy Guest

Here's the speakers I want to use.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/install/control/ctrl1.pdf

11. PrideBoy

PrideBoy Guest

Here's the speakers that is very very similar as the orginal one and it's the Control 1Xtreme.

http://www.jbl.com/home/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=CONTROL1XTREME&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA&cat=BFS&ser=COS

12. PrideBoy

PrideBoy Guest

I talked to the JBL tech guys and they said the size and everything is the same as the orginal one but just measued differently that's why one says it's 4in and one says 5in woofers etc.

13. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Ahhhh. Now we get the facts. Those ARE two different speakers. Go to http://www.jblpro.com and then http://www.jbl.com/home and see the facts for yourself. You CAN use the 1Xtremes, because they are 8 ohms.

BTW:

JBL Professional Control 1 Pro is 150W, 4 ohms, 87dB SPL, 1W/1M.
    JBL Consumer Control 1Xtreme is 80W, 8 ohms, 89dB SPL, 1W/iM

14. PrideBoy

PrideBoy Guest

Well it's 150 peak power for the Control 1 pro. So music power is acualy the same as the Xtremes. What I see the biggest difference in the two is one uses titanium-laminted dome tweeters and one uses Polycarbonated dome tweeters. But other than that I think they are same speakers. But I was thinking that I could just swap the crossovers on the Xtremes and the Control 1 then the Control 1 will be 8 ohms rated. Do you think that's a good idea? They are same size and they will fit perfectly on both.

15. dementedchord

dementedchord Well-Known Member

i would'nt simply swap the X'over... curious though.. the amp is rated at no less than 8ohm's??? most solid state amps are'nt too particular about that so the facxt that the manufacture is worried about it would be a cause for concern.... indicates a shitty power supply (lack of current) i take it you already own the amp???? what is it???

16. MrEase

MrEase Active Member

Prideboy,

Changing the crossover will NOT change the overall speaker impedance. What it will do is mess up the crossover frequency so you would probably get a null or peak at the crossover frequency when using different impedance drivers than the crossover was designed for - the load and source impedance of any passive filter are an integral part of the filter design.

DEFINITELY NOT a good idea.

17. PrideBoy

PrideBoy Guest

My reveicer is a Pioneer VSX-D308 Digital Signal Processor.

Here are some specs on my receiver.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4153_36377_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent&olderModel=Y

18. PrideBoy

PrideBoy Guest

Well the woofers and tweeters look exactly the same only difference is the tweeter has a thin coating of titanium. The woofers meteral and design looks same as the orginal too even the model number of the woofers is the same. I think the Xtremes and the orginal are same cones. I overall think these are almost the same speakers.

19. PrideBoy

PrideBoy Guest

But if guys you really think I should not change anything then is there anyway I can use the orginal Control 1 using my Pioneer receiver?

20. dementedchord

dementedchord Well-Known Member

geeee... if only looks had ANYTHING to do with it.....

"Check the impedance of the speakers; make sure they are properly rated for your stereo. In most cases, they need to be 8 ohms. Only a few Pioneer receivers will support lower impedance."

that's from your link under FAQ's if the amp shuts down... do what you want but i'ld think real seriously about losing that thing.....YMMV