1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Ok, Mic Preamp Wealth of Knowledge Needed

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by phalynx, Feb 17, 2002.

1. phalynx

phalynx Guest

I currently have a PTIII system and a Mackie 8 Bus mixer.

What will I gain by using an outboard mic preamp.

My current vocal mic is a Rode NTK. This is a tube mic. I bring it into the Mackie and out though the 888 into PT where I add compressors etc.

I don't understand everything and desire to learn from the masterminds here.

What will I gain? What should I look for? What is the best sub 1000.00 choice and is it worth it?

Thank you.

2. I was told when I bought my NTKs that I should use clean preamps with this mic because it is a very colored mic already. That would include Mackie VLZ pro, Grace 101-801, Avalon 737, Manleys. I am currently using the Avalon 737sm with this mic and it is so new that I don't have enough info to give a yea or nea yet. I'll know more after this week.
    If anyone has tried a Neve 1272 or 1073 I'd love to hear your feedback with this mic.

Thanks,
    Allen

3. phalynx

phalynx Guest

Back to the top.

4. UTS

UTS Guest

In the sub 1000$ price range I think Joemeek's VC1Qcs is hard to beat (yet waiting for the Really Nice Pre could be a good move too). A nice full and round pre-amp, with smooth top, basic yet usable EQ and a compressor to die for. I was greatly astounished when I got mine and what it did to my AT 4033 Mic. Three classes better than the pres on your Mackie...

Rock n Roll,

Markus