1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Ok, so now the Pres (Hamptone, Sebatron etc...)

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Hopeless_opus, Feb 9, 2005.

1. I have a project where I am going to attempt to track both at home in my appartment and in a pro studio. The Studio is a protools room, loaded with Neve, API, Daking, UA, Vintech etc... I am looking to do Drums and final Vox there.

At home I would like to track guitars, Bass and synths. I have bought an at4047, sm57 and I have access to an SM7. I also plan on picking up one more good dynamic mic.(EV, Beyer?) I am going to get a Demeter Iso cab in order to track amps.(maybe a Rhodes) I also plan on doing some reamping at the studio.

I am really curious about the Hamptone Kits, especially the Jfet one. I have a guy who will build it for me cheap. Is this going to give me the colored "rock" tone I am looking for. this project is not hard rock though, more U2, coldplay, Travis, at it's hardest radiohead type tones. AC30's, a Bassmen and a Plexi clone mostly.

How do the Hamptone pres compare to the Sebatron or Speck ones. I've also seen the UA m610 on ebay for $700 or so. this is my budget. can I get what I want from one of these?

Thank you

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I'm a big fan of Scott Hampton's work... but I have no idea how it compares with the other stuff. Evaluating what I've heard on it's own merit I have found the Hamptone stuff to be great... as always, YMMV.

3. Thanks Fletcher,

Considering you don't sell the Hamptones and you do sell the Speck (which I am guessing is pretty cool, but not right for me), says a lot.

It's tough at this price point

Hopeless

P.S. I love the RNC, a great purchase