1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Oktava mics for grand piano?

Discussion in 'Piano' started by gianlu5080, Dec 12, 2006.

1. gianlu5080

gianlu5080 Active Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Home Page:
    I mainly record classical chamber music (recitals in theatres and auditorium with very good acoustics) and I'm very proud of the results: by now I used a Neumann km183 spaced pair in A-B recording technique through a Motu Traveler (preamp, AD converter and audio card all in a box) connected to an Apple powerbook (recording at 48KHz 24 bit).
    I'm also a professional pianist and usually record my piano recitals using the above configuration: the problem is that in churchs often the acoustic is too reverberant, and so I plan to add some cardioids for close-miking.
    Initially I considered Neumann KM184 stereo pair, but I've read opposite reviews, and by now I'm switching toward Oktava mics, mainly MK-012 stereo set or MK-011 stereo set or MK-319 stereo set (and this with eventual modification).
    What do you choose for close or semi-close classical grand piano miking, guys? Are there other options to consider?
    Let me know your opinions.........

2. hughesmr

hughesmr Guest

Gefell M300. :cool:
  3. zemlin

zemlin Distinguished Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    Home Page:
    I was sitting in on a studio session a while back (my Daughter's choir was recording). I'm not a big fan of that studio's work, but the piano sounded ->great<- !

Gefell M300s. The recording engineer said those mics were iffy on a lot of sources, but rocked on piano. Out of my price range at this point ... but someday ...
  4. hughesmr

hughesmr Guest

The best price I found was from Mercenary Audio in Mass. Give Fletcher a call...

My personal experience is that they are great on LOTS of sources .... piano, harpsichord, voice, etc ... great as a spot, too. I replaced a pr of KM184 with the Gefells, and there is a profound difference, esp in the top-end smoothness.

Those with the experience say that the M300 is much more like the older Neumann KM84, a generally much more respected mic.
  5. FifthCircle

FifthCircle Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Home Page:
    FWIW, an Octava is going to a rather pale comparison even to a new Neumann (let alone an older Neumann). The recommendations for the Microtech Gefell's are good. I like the M930 quite a bit for close micing a piano in a jazz/pop setting.

For classical work, I go for Schoeps or DPA. I like omnis generally the most. In some cases, a blumlein pair will work well... I could go on for a long time.

Try doing a search of this forum. There have been a number of great threads on various methods of piano recording.

6. Midlandmorgan

Midlandmorgan Active Member

Jul 21, 2002
    I've used the Joly modded 319 in a 7 ft Yamaha grand with much better than I would have expected results....placed it about dead center at 1/4 stick, using an ADesigns P1 500 series preamp set fairly low gain...

Results were great...

FWIW: The BEST piano sounds I have personally heard recorded were played by Marcia Ball using a pair of M49s thru a pair of Neve 1073s (all old stuff) straight to a Radar...of course the engineer (Al Schmidtt) may have had a hand in it as well...:) )
  7. Akira

Akira Guest

The smooth as glass piano sounds on a multitude of ablums such as Steely Dan were done with the venerable km84. (not to be confused with the 184)
    Expensive and near impossible to find, I wish I had a second one to make a pair, even unmatched.

That said the Octava with the large cardiod diaphram option is a good choice for the price but, not a Gefell M300. btw: these mics are quite a bit cheaper in Canada and for a matched pair with 8 diaphrams for a grand CND or $800.USD are a bargain.