1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Oktava Mod

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by daysonend07, Mar 21, 2010.

1. daysonend07

daysonend07 Guest

Has anyone used any of the Oktava Mod(ed) Microphones? Im trying to decide whether or not to try them out.

OktavaMod - Affordable Boutique Microphones

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

I haven't but I have a half dozen MXL 603 I haven't deployed in years that could use that capsule mod. The k6 mod is also worth my interest.

3. tubefire

tubefire Guest

Yes. I recently had the mod on my Rode NT1A and was amazed by the results! I had put the mic away for over a year because it sounded sibilant on many vocals and brittle on acoustic guitar. After the mod it sounded much more open and captured a lot of detail. It also came alive in the midrange and produced a beautiful punch. I was so delighted with the mod that I sold three of my other mics. I now own a mic that I can put up against anything and it shines. I have a total (including the price of the mic) of $549. into the NT1A and it sounds excellent. The NT1A is also a great mic to mod because it is THE QUIETEST mic on the market with a self noise of only 5db's!

4. llatht

llatht Active Member

I just had an MXL v67 modded at JJ Audio for $215. I think it sounds very good. I've been comparing it to my AT4033, and right now I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like better on my voice. They both have certain characteristics I like. I haven't tried it on acoustic yet.
    I haven't read a single post yet from anyone who was dissatisfied with a mod they got from JJ Audio or Octava Mod.

5. Ripeart

Ripeart Active Member

Excellent. Thank you.

6. sshack

sshack Active Member

Yes, I had my Oktava 012's modded and love them even more now. I would recommend Michael's work to anyone looking to mod an inexpensive mic.