1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Omni mics for piano

Discussion in 'Piano' started by Marik, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Marik

Marik Guest

Which small diaphragm omni mics would you suggest for classical piano recording? My price range $700, but at the moment I would prefer going lower. I would not mind getting second hand ones. So far I was looking into:

Oktava MK012 from Sound-Room
    Superlux CMH8K
    Akg C451 with CK2, or CK22
    Akg Blueline with CK92

On the other hand, which omni capsules only can you recommend, as I could DIY preamp body myself.
  2. MikoMader

MikoMader Guest

What about used Earthworks TC-30K?
  3. pmolsonmus

pmolsonmus Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2003
    How about 2 Crown 30D PZMs?

Tape 2 under the lid and you can get a great sound, minimize bleed and come in around your $700 budget. Send 'em into a clean pre and you might never look back.

Just a thought

4. Marik

Marik Guest

Thanks guys. For my purposes Earthworks is a more versatile mic than PZM. I started looking for a pair to audion in the hall.
  5. Duardo

Duardo Guest

I'd second the recommendation for the Earthworks omni microphones. If a pair of TC30K's is a little out of your range, you may consider a pair of SRO's. They're essentially the same microphones and one of the better-kept secrets out there.

6. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

B&K/DPA 4007's

they are more than $700, but I could not help myself from mentioning them in a thread about omnis/piano...
  7. Marik

Marik Guest

Yeah, definitely those, as well as 4011's, are on my top priority list once I get dough.
  8. golli

golli Active Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Shure KSM 141