1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

One monitor or two

Discussion in 'Recording' started by larryt, Sep 10, 2004.

1. larryt

larryt Guest

Hi

I am wondering the benefits and uses of two monitors on my pro tools as oposed to one, obviously the downside is cost.

Thanks

2. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

We have been using two monitors in our mastering setup for a number of years. The obvious advantage is room to spread out the desktop and not have things overlaying each other. The really BIG difference I saw was when we went from CRTs to LCD screens a while back and could finally have them in front of me while mastering. The cost for us was about $1000.00 for the dual monitor card and the two LCD 17" monitors (Sam's Club now has the same NEC LCD 1765 monitors for $378.00 on closeout) I have used Protools in the past and have a good friend that is running a Digi 002 system and he has two monitors and loves it. One of his monitors bit the dust and he had to get along with one for a couple of days. He went out and bought a spare monitor "just in case" since he never wanted to go back to only one monitor again.

-TOM-