1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

One more question about studio monitors

Discussion in 'Monitoring & Headphones' started by pablotx, Nov 12, 2004.

1. pablotx

pablotx Guest

I am relatively new to the business and just blew up one of my old Alesis Monitor ones. After going to a few shops around, I realized that I really needed a good pair of passive monitors. Those Alesis really weren't really up to snuff. I have seen some Genelecs, Events and Dynaudio. I have a relatively large control room and would be using the new monitors for both tracking and mixing. I would like to have the option of getting pretty loud as well. The price range per pair I am looking at is $800- $2000. Which ones do ya'll suggest? So far I liked the Event ASP8s over the Mackie 824s. The salesman was trying to sell me on Dynaudio AIR 6s. I know that monitor selection is usually up to personal preference, but I was looking for opinions on narrowing down my search and which ones would help me maximize my potential during mixdowns.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    $2000 will get you a lot.

Some strong recommendations for passive monitors:
    Dynaudio BM15
    PMC TB2/TB2S
    Tannoy System 10
    Adam just released a couple new passive systems

With that kind of budget, you can afford to go full-range. Do yourself a huge favor and make sure that you have an amplifier capable of driving these bohemoths.

3. Krou

Krou Active Member

May 27, 2001
    As much as I love Dynaudios, I've heard mixed opinions on the AIR series. I'd probably just get the BM15A or even BM6A, the latter will run about $1500. If you really need "passive", then there's the passive versions as well (without the 'A' suffix).

For about $1k, you'd be impressed with the new KRK V8II's.
    I have the V6II as my room is quite small, but if you need more 'oomph', the 8's might do you right.
  4. David French

David French Distinguished Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Yes, can you really trust a monitor with DSP? I just doesn't seem like a good idea.