1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

One Piece of Gear that ROCKS your world......

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Davedog, May 23, 2007.

1. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Digital, analog, or a combination of both, what one piece of gear do you rely on for every session?

Try not to answer "My Ears" since we all know you aint doin this without em.......

If you're interested in elaborating on this particular piece, give some insight as to the reasons for its importance even if by its nature its obvious.

Any historical stories about how you came to need this piece would be great.
  2. drumist69

drumist69 Active Member

Feb 26, 2005
    North Carolina, USA
    I'm pretty stoked with my MD421 mic thus far. Only just started using it, but its a whole new world over the cheap Chinese mics I've gotten started with! Did very nicely on kick drum, and seems to be the go-to vocal mic for me at the moment. Keep in mind, this is a "bedroom studio" and for my own use only. My bass player's voice was hard to deal with on the CCC mic's, but was SO easy to capture with the 421. I'll try it on some guitar overdubs and the guitarist's voice tomorrow. But...damn, I need more better gear! Andy
  3. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    My choices have changed over the years as I do much more mixing, turd polishing, audio sweeting and budget mastering than I do raw recording these days.

One or all three of my Eventides would certainly be towards the top of the list. This choice should not really need any explanation if you have ever heard of used a modern Eventide unit.

I could not imagine not having or using my 3-mono Manley Vari-Mu's, Massive Passive, 2-1176's or 2-LA2A's in some shape or form. Again, if you have heard or used these units, they should not need any further comments.
  4. Link555

Link555 Distinguished Member

Mar 31, 2007
    North Vancouver
    My Cranesong Avocet has literally changed the way I hear. It’s like the fuzz is gone.
  5. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I can't imagine life without my Schoeps CMC6 and the MK4 and MK2s combinations.

I don't think there's been a recording in which I haven't used them in the past 10 years. Nope...not 1.
  6. Imago

Imago Guest

I have a fetish for both mics and monitors... It's probably a tie between my Adam S2-A's and my Royer R-121's. :wink:
  7. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    -McDSP Analog Channel
    -DIY Sansamp GT-2
    -Steven Slate drum samples
    -Avantone Mixcubes

Sorry, I was only supposed to pick one.

I'd have to say the Avantone MixCubes. My mixes now sound exactly how I want them no matter where I play them. They are quite amazing little speakers.
  8. JoeH

JoeH Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA/ Greenville, DE
    Home Page:
    One piece of gear, eh? Hmm......

Well, for speakers, it's my Lipsinski's, all the way. From the moment I first heard them, to the session I did earlier today, I can't imagine life without them.

For editing/mastering software, it's Sequoia/Samplitude.

For mics, it's always been my first true love: The DPA 4006's. (originally B&Ks). Didn't think it was possible to get any better, but the newer DPA 4006 TL's are even better.
  9. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2003
    I'd have to say my Mackie HR824's. I get really good translation from them, such a joy to hear a rough mix on the home stereo sound just like it does in the control room. I know lots of folks don't care for them, but it isn't about them now, is it?