Online mastering???

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by andreswer, Dec 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andreswer

andreswer Active Member

Take a look at this:

XARC Mastering

Any opinions?

2. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Not sure how you could really compare mastering using MP3s.

There was a bit of discussion on this topic on the Mastering Web Board.

No list of equipment and no pictures of the facilites so it could be a basement operation or it could be world class hard to judge.

Anyone used them so far????

3. Michaelm

Michaelm Guest

I know one thing - unless they were sending wav. files, I would never bother.

4. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

Not really ground breaking but if it works for him, great. Lots of places offer this.

5. Hello all,

i must join in here as i seen referes from here :)

First hello to everyone on this forum!
    My name is Lorenz and i am the founder and Chief Mastering Engineer at XARC Mastering.

To quickly answer up your questions;
    Yes, and as many asked, we don´t have a equipmentlist online as we are a bit different and have our own opinion about these kind of things. However, we may decide to put these things up later.

We have Demos as WAV files online, maybe you didn´t see them.
    In our Demos section at the foot of the Testimonials (the "get a before / after demo of one of his songs here" textes) there are .RAR files which contain the .WAV files.

Also be sure that we have a great "suprise" which well known musician just mastered his new single with us.
    There will also be some interviews with us in the UK & USA, as well as some other music magazines worldwide, in probaly the february 2004 issues.

If you want to test us and are still not convinced i invite everyone of you to try our Free Trial. Byside you always get a demo when ordering mastering before making any payment and if you don´t like it, we don´t charge you anything. Of course this rarely happens.

Let me know if you have any other questions and if it is not a problem, please ask them over at http://www.xarcmastering.com/forum as we have a hard time to answer on all places where we are currently discussed on.

Anyway i am hoping on a great time with the recording.org forum community.

Best Greets and a merry christmas already,
    Lorenz @ XARC Mastering

6. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Everybody has their own opinion on what gear they use, and most respected mastering houses are very proud of the tools they have and are very open to list them for all to see and know. What possible valid reason could you have as to why you would hesitate to list the exact tools you have to work with? Appears to be very fishy to me.

7. Hello,

as i said we are not a "normal" mastering house, that´s the nature of our new business idea.

In the meanwhile i can tell you there are alot of artists including some big names that mastered with us and are more then happy, even without this list.
    We don´t want and don´t need to showcase anything because we focus on what really counts - the sound & quality and perfection we give you and that many of our recent clients enjoy and respect.

Best Greets,
    Lorenz @ XARC Mastering

8. AudioGaff

Ya, ok. Sound quality & perfection are very depandant on the tools that are used to get those specific results. It is now obvious what is not normal about your business. Only those that are ashamed of what they are using and those who need to hide behind marketing gook would hesitate to provide potential customers with a complete list of the tools that they will be using.

And just who would a few of the very top/best of them be? Or is this yet another of your non-normal mastering busineess tactics to not reveal who you do business with?

Hey, if you really think people looking for top quality mastering services are that clueless to buy into your marketing based business tactics and it works for you, good for you. That kind of tripe doesn't tend to work very well or go very far here in USA where you find real professionals that do mastering work and don't need to hide behind a website.

Oh, and you might want to edit and hide that comment on the front page of the website where you reveal that you use and rely on KRK monitors, as that is a sure clue that I am on the right track...

9. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

Well Audiogaff.

I don't think this is the place for you to have it mastered, unless you have bad material with cracks and 50/60hz hum.
    ...or need harmonic enhancing... :(
    ...I'm wayting actively for the change and it will come one day Don Grossinger... :c:

Best regads.

10. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

It's not my meaning to criticise you Lorenz.
    I'm just trying to draw a line between what Audiogaff and i do and what your firm is about, I belive it's two different things.

11. Thomas W. Bethel

Not sure why XARC mastering is so secretive about their clients or their equipment.

I have seen this tactic before in other forms and I think it goes back to the days of snake oil salesmen that traversed the western frontier of America in the 1800s. They promised a lot of cures for lots of different aliments but what they were really selling was some herbs mixed with 100 Proof grain alcohol or worse.

If you are secure in what you are doing then spell out who you are doing it for and what equipment you are using.

You could be a basement operation masquerading as a legitimate mastering house or you could be world class. I don't understand your reluctance to come forward with facts.

It all sounds very fishy to me.

Take off the mask and prove yourself.

12. Hi,

i think the good thing is that we don´t need to prove anything in the kind of "who is better" like other studios do.
    And he - potential customers from another mastering studio?
    I can imagine you guys are upset about this as it could cost you clients, and we have to stand this, but that´s busines.
    When we would list the equipment, exactly that what you said about "KRK" (btw, you are aware of their "Main" series?) would happen and there is no need for us to have that going on.
    As i said, we consider putting this up later again, but right now we are totaly happy with the kind of clients we are getting trough our promotion.
    Earlier this year in our "test-phase" we used to promote with pictures for some days and where flooded by all kind of gear-addicts telling us how super our equipment is and what nice tubes it uses, but they produced totaly bad music.
    Since we removed this from our website, we are getting artists that really know what they are doing and care about the experience we have.
    The best equipment in the hands of an unexperienced won´t guarantee you anything.

Guys, please understand, i don´t want any fight or whatever with you, just understand our point.
    And if people are not taking up on our offer, then he, it´s more clients for you right?

Why don´t one of you mastering engineers send us a unmastered song you just finished mastering yourself and let us show what we can deliver?
    Or are you trying to hide there? Wouldn´t that be the best to judge yourself?

Just contact me via email and we set this up quickly, then judge again if we are really that fishy. I think thats the fairest thing i can offer and that one of you should face after all this flaming about our services and would proove you more then any equipmentlist or whatever.

Best Greets,
    Lorenz @ XARC Mastering

13. Ammitsboel

Ammitsboel Member

Wo is "he"?
    Is it me?
    If it is... I didn't write that..?!?

But your offer sounds very fair, you couldn't have written a better sugestion.

I'm gonna sen't you a recording soon...

14. AudioGaff

No matter what reasons you give or how you justify it to yourself, You cannot gain respect or establish a good reputation as a true professional when you can only attract customers with words of marketing BS. You cannot gain a customers trust with just BS when you go out of your way to promote how good you think you are, how good you think your equipment is, how many top artists you claim to have worked for but then go completely out of your way to make up excuses and reasons why you won't reveal who you have worked with, hide what specific tools you use, and continue to mislead people without any facts to back up your claims.

I would advise all R.O readers to be very leary and for them to tell everyone they know to avoid people that use these kind of shady business tactics. Respected and trusted engineers that are proud of their tools and the people that they worked with, will go out of their way to promote those things and themselves. They would never try to hide and mislead using business tactics of BS.

15. Michaelm

Michaelm Guest

Well someone's going to have to keep us posted!

16. You made it, that´s what i call a real professional.

17. Michaelm

Michaelm Guest

Almost forgot...for the record - I don't have a 'side' here, but I will say that I went to the site and checked out the before and after samples. I've heard many of these from a lot of sites and I will admit that the afters sounded better than any I'd heard elsewhere. This may mean nothing of course, but if that was the result on my music, I wouldn't care if they were in their basement with Soundforge.

18. Hi,

someone who finally sees what´s this all about in the end.
    I find it funny that especially guys that are mastering engineers themself don´t like what we do - understandable but that´s life. Go with time or die.
    Being proud of your gear is a cool thing but won´t help you anything if you can´t handle it.
    As you may have seen on our site there is a "shootout" between some other mastering studios (to sad we can´t name them) that show very well that their great gear makes nothing.
    It is so funny how people relay on their gear and think it makes the magic for them.
    "Innovations" always disattracts the "but we have always done it this way" people, but that´s something we have and can life with!
    Go ahead and tell people how shitty we are, the artists that know what we can do respect us and that´s all we could ever want.

Best Greets,
    Lorenz @ XARC Mastering

19. Thomas W. Bethel

Not sure which "mastering engineers" you are referring to BUT I have seen enough snake oil salesmen in my life who promise big things and then refuse to tell how they are done or what "magic" they are using. This is sounding more and more like a big scam with someone in a basement studio trying to impress the members of this web board.

Let me and others know what albums you have mastered for what artist and I will be happy to go out an purchase them and listen to the results of your work.

Fair enough????

20. You and your Oilsman!
    I don´t get you, why can´t you go to our website, go to the Demos section and download the 2 .RAR files that will show you a before / after in full 16bit 44khz WAVE.
    As it seems i already happened to impress one if you read a bit above.

Do you ask your car-repairing service what machines he is going to use to repair your car?
    Must we put this lists online because everyone else does it - NO. Because we work and think different and don´t want to join this equipment war which is totaly sensless - that´s was a basic rule for us since our start.
    Why would this be so important for you to see how we get there, if the results are statisfying - are you afraid that someone who doesn´t own a 100000$ compressor can pulloff something better with a 1000$ device because he actually knows how things work instead having 100000$ "magic-button" devices that are placebo?
    There is all together so much overrated crap out there that people are going to buy for there money, not knowing how it works and what it does, but he it´s 50000$, it must be good and i must own it. It´s these audio-snob´s with the "i know it all and use gold-wiring" attitude that are going to buy this and don´t know what the device is actually doing.
    I just remember back when Aphex Aural Exciter came out and was marketed with all BS slogans and all nonsense explanations on what it does - today they admit that it adds distortion and that´s it.

This discussion is getting so sensless at this point now.
    Why not just accept our point and - PERIOD?
    If you feel that everything is so fishy for you then why not go somewhere else where you are happy?

Forgive me for the harsh words, but i just found this cliche people here.

Very gently spoken,
    Lorenz @ XARC Mastering

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.