1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Opinions needed for home studio.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by colincancer, Oct 9, 2008.

1. colincancer

colincancer Guest

ok i need help figuring out what to buy for my recording studio.

this is the computer i'm planning to get from pugetsystems.com;

motherboard-Asus P5E Deluxe (Intel X48) DDR2
    CPU-Intel Core 2 Duo (Wolfdale) E8400 3.0GHz 65W
    RAM-OCZ Reaper 4GB DDR2-800 w/ Heatpipe Cooling (2x2GB)
    hard drive-Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA2 640GB QUIET
    2nd hard drive - Western Digital Caviar SE16 SATA2 320GB QUIET
    case - Lian-Li PC7H+ Mid Tower (black w/ window)
    power case- Corsair TX 450W
    cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (775)
    windows xp pro spr3

i think this setup should have no latency and will be the cheapest in the long run (as i can upgrade as i buy more equipment)

also, i think i'm gonna get the m audio delta 1010lt to start with but dont know if i should get a control surface or mixer.
    the delta 1010 lt has 8 unbalanced rca cables so do i need to look for a special mixer to hook it up to?(i dont want to buy a mixer/ control surface just to find its not compatible) also i will want to record 8 tracks simoltaneously, would i need an 8 bus mixer?

im not trying to spend to much money so im trying to find the best mixer or conrol surface for under 500$ your guys help is appreciated.

2. GeckoMusic

GeckoMusic Guest

You don't need a special mixer, but you do want to keep the computer close to the mixer. Use your mixer aux sends to some 1010LT channels, and then put the remaining 1010LT channels on the inserts of some mixer channels.

3. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Also, the Delta only has 6 RCA inputs, and 2 mic preamps, IIRC.
    It has 8 RCA outs though.

4. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Actually the 1010lt doesn't have pres.

It does have, at board level, 2 jumpers to set the input of line in 1 and line in 2 for either -10 or +4.

5. GeckoMusic

GeckoMusic Guest

Codemonky has it right. 2 sets of 2 jumpers. There are 4 settings:
    +30dB mic gain
    +19dB mic gain
    14dBu line level
    3dBu line level

(I'm looking at mine right now)

6. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

But it's not variable gain pres as such?
    Fixed gain, hmm.

Do they beat a budget mixer?
    I'm thinking about getting one (once I get a job).

7. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Look under page 14, heading "Delta’s Analog Inputs/Outputs":
    "...Signal level settings of +4dBu, “Consumer” (-4dBu), and “-10” are available."

This is the information that I use to configure mine.

8. GeckoMusic

GeckoMusic Guest

9. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Mic level/ Line level.

Like I said ut, This is the information that I use to configure mine.

It's not a pre in the sense that I wanted but does give me options over the past three years that I have used it ;)

But thanks for putting up with me.

10. colincancer

colincancer Guest

gecko you said you have 3 of them, what mixer do you have just so i can get a push in the right direction on what im gonna buy.

also do i need special cables to hook up the mixer?

11. Greener

Greener Guest

Is this really happening?

12. GeckoMusic

GeckoMusic Guest

Any mixer with inserts will work. I would recommend something like the Mackie 1642. 8 channels with inserts. I would connect 6 to your unbalanced lines. Then use two sub buses or two aux sends for the balanced inputs on the Delta 1010LT. Yes you will need to build custom cables.

For the price of the card and the mixer you could get something like the Presonus FP10 and have cash to spare.

The mixer will be useful for live sound and headphone mixes, but many people get by without a mixer in the recording environment.

?? :?
    Someone asking for advice and getting a response? Yes. Not sure what you mean.

13. Jeemy

Jeemy Well-Known Member

Out of interest, how much is the computer costing? Just saying, if you are spending 75% of your budget on the computer and 25% on the conversion, you might want to, um, reevaluate those priorities?

Just the way the spec is laid out sounds like you might be outlaying a ton of cash on a PC you could build yourself for half the price. It sounds great, don't get me wrong, and it will last, but just wondering as I've never heard of Puget computers.

Also a 640G main hard drive sounds like a lot. If you are planning to record via SATA to your secondary hard drive, then unless you want lots of non-use storage, why not make the main 120-250Gb, and the secondary 640Gb?

14. fmw

fmw Guest

The components you are using will work just fine together. They are overkill for most recordists. That system is enough to handle a professional studio without breathing too hard.

Be sure you buy a video card that doesn't have a fan and be sure the hard drives are 7200 rpm. Also make sure you get a fairly quiet power supply. Spend a little extra on the power supply.

ASUS, as you may know, is the world's largest mainboard manufacturer. I use their products myself. The Intel X48 chipset is the latest and will be compatible with virtually any currently hardware and software. Looks good.

15. read this article about building home studio
    http://audioproductionworld.blogspot.com/2008/11/guide-to-home-and-project-studio-part-1.html

16. Space

Space Well-Known Member

Right. Better off staying here @ RO and searching out the information given in real time on a day-by-day basis by professionals with names.