1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Opus !!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by ShaneSelby, Aug 15, 2003.

1. ShaneSelby

ShaneSelby Guest

When you built my PC you gave me a Norton Ghost boot floppy and 2 restore CD's. I am installing a new drive for my OS and wanted to know if I could use these restore disks to get my system back to the way it was. Can I use them on a fresh install or do I have to reinstall all the programs first? Just thought I should ask before I tried.

Shane

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

If you are using the same exact system yes, if you built a new system with a new mainboard then no, you need to re install everything again.

Opus

3. ShaneSelby

ShaneSelby Guest

Thanks Opus!

I put new drives in and installed the OS last night. Everything went smooth but I ran into a small problem, if it is a problem at all. The OS drive is FAT32 and the audio drive is NTFS. Not sure why they did this. Is this going to cause me problems? Should I convert a drive to the same file system as the other? I put alot of time into installing the software, programs, and tweeks so I dont want to loose the OS drive. So, should I convert the audio drive to FAT32 or can I convert the OS to NTFS without loosing all my information? Can you please tell me how to go about converting the file system if I need to.

Shane

4. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

It's not going to cause you any problems to have different file formats on the drives...

Just leave them as they are and be happy

Opus

5. ShaneSelby

ShaneSelby Guest

Ah good!

Also, as to your tweeks. I just converted the audio drive's partition to an Extended Partition then a Logical Drive. I am reformatting the drive as I type. So in the computer management window under disk management the audio drive box should be highlighted in the bright blue with the green under it. This represents it is a Extended Partition as a Logical Drive. Am I correct?

Awesome tips Gary! This PC is smokin. :tu: