1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Orban 622B Parametric EQ

Discussion in 'Vintage Analog Gear' started by Sean G, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about the Orban Parametric Eq model 622B ?
    I have come across one which has come out of a broadcast facility in Oz. I really don't know much about these units.

With the age I'd expect it would require recapping, but I'm keen to know if anyone is familiar with or has used one in their travels and if its worth taking a look at.

I know these aren't high end units but the price seems pretty reasonable and comparative to what they are worth / have been selling for (around $500 AUD = $350-360 USD). It has the bar type connectors at the rear...no XLR or 1/4 jacks for I/O o_O

Is this worth a consideration as an outboard EQ option ? ... or is it just a gritty sounding old boat anchor ?

Cheers,

- Sean.

Attached Files:

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I owned one back in the 80's. I used it for live kick drum applications.Very noisy but worked great for dance. (y)

For pro audio recording, don't waste your time. ITB is superior to my thinking. IMHO, there are very few EQ's I would ever use for tracking today. Why even bother is how I hear it?
    Other than the stock ITB EQ's, I'd be looking at Fabfilter.

Hardware Eq... Pulse Techniques Pultecs are about the only EQ I would spend money on. Those are the real deal for tracking and mixing but they aren't cheap. Even then, I doubt any of what we buy as hardware (other the real pultecs (not plug-ins) today are really worth the fuss or sonic improvement.
    But, its fun twisting knobs, I cannot deny that. I often think its the twisting to why we do what we do :love:.

Digital parametric EQ are miles ahead. The analog parametric can't even compete.

imho

kmetal likes this.
  3. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

if someone is happy with itb eqs, i'm happy for them but digital eq and analog eq are different beasts and they do not sound the same to me. there are plenty of decent analog eqs other than Pultecs although i agree that Putecs are the shinzzel. another fave of mine would be the Amek Neve 9098'. the Orban however is not that great of a box. i would rate it right up there with something like a Furman. @ $350, i would pass.

kmetal likes this.
  4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I agree with Kurt, then clarify I am basing much of my opinion specifically in regards to the OP and analog parametric vs ITB parametric. The Orban 622b is an analog parametric. Since I actually owned one and used it extensively, I believe you will get more parametric goodness ITB.

After using other EQ's along the way its also my opinion (now that we have insane DAW's and plug-ins), cheap analog EQ's in general suck and that's why we pay a good wad for good consoles or modular hardware. Otherwise, why bother smearing your track up is my thinking. But each to his own. Cheap, good better best " there is a place for everything.I've always wanted an old Soundcraft from the 70's.

Live work .. PA and shaping to deal with rooms, any console or EQ is better than no console or no EQ.

5. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

6. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Boat anchor it is by the sound of it. The last thing I want to do is introduce something that will have a negative effect on the audio signal.

There is not a lot of info on them apart from a few short threads on GS...a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to feedback.

A common reference is that they are noisy, as you stated above Chris they seem to be better suited to kick drum than anything else really.
    Not really knowing much about them I thought it would be a good idea to throw the question out there for those that are more familiar with this blue box EQ than me.

Thats why RO is such a good source of info when it comes to these things. I'd trust the info I get from here first from members than what you read on other forums.

kmetal and audiokid like this.
  7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Edit: Posted this before I just read your last post, Sean.
    @Sean G
    If you had one of those, what would you be wanting it for?

8. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Probably an option to use on bass and kick when going in.

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

For bass (low freq tuning/ sculpting) I've been looking at phase adjustment tools. Might be worth looking into as well.

Sean G likes this.
  10. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Thats the advantage of doing things ITB, there are more options and you can always undo or change it later, as opposed to printing it and being stuck with it.

11. audiokid

audiokid Staff

coincidentally, I just received an inquiry yesterday on advertising with us from Little Labs and saw this in their arsenal of products. http://www.littlelabs.com/ibp.html

Radial makes something interesting too. I think @Davedog has some experience using phase alignment tools. Phase Dial in bass freq, including how to use those to fit bass into a mix apposed to EQ goes a long way to my ears.

PS, this includes using them to shape the freq like we are familiar in analog synths via freq modulation.

12. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Somewhat related to this topic.
    Pinning certain freq in a digital sidechain so other tracks pop out is another fun topic.

kmetal likes this.
  13. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

That IPB in that link looks interesting...could be beneficial with correcting phase issues with drum mics

14. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

You should start a thread on this if there isn't one here in archive already...I would be keen to dive head first into this one.

audiokid likes this.
  15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I'm thinking tracking too but I'm speculating. Never used one. I definitely would like something like these.

16. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing with drum mics...use it to track therefore eliminating any phase issues before you print...but you would most likely need a whole rack of them inline on the way in.

17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Ah, you know it.
    Its what I was getting at in our last conversation about mixing> electronic music vs traditional engineers and how they are blocking out technology because it has electronic music attached to it. There is so much more we don't discuss here. Sidechaining and using them to focus punch in a mix, wow.

kmetal and Sean G like this.
  18. Sean G

Sean G Well-Known Member

Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks...;)

audiokid likes this.
  19. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I'm sure someone more qualified than I has a better chance at that. A wordsmith I am not. But I'm all over threads that discuss and discover new methods. I think we could do a lot more mix offs that discuss our tricks.

Hearing is believing. Participating is even more eye opening.

kmetal and Sean G like this.
  20. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Well-Known Member

Lmao Kurt, are you saying this eq is as good as a glorified power strip?

How do you feel about pluggin vs hardware in this area? I'm pretty sure there's pluggin versions of this. From what I understand of phase cancelization, it cancels things, that can't be brought back. Are you talking tracking mixing or both? I could see even perfectly phase coherent tracks, having phase relationship problems with other tracks in a mix scenerio. A phase knob would be a welcome addition to any stereo pre.

Unless your recording classical with a gramma phone, or wax cylinder, we're all doing electronic music. I'd like to see less stigma attached to things in a field that's as creative as music. Any engineer who knows how to mix the low end of hip hop/dance will have no trouble with modern rock or pop, live or otherwise, at least imho.