Orchestral Sample Library

Discussion in 'Mixing & Editing' started by Chicopunk13, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Chicopunk13

Chicopunk13 Guest

What is the best sample library/ utility for orchestral mockups and scoring type applications? I'm looking for fidelity as well as functionality.

I've looked at a few different ones including the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra and Vienna Symphonic Library instruments, which both seem very good. However, I have yet to demo any such software, so if you can offer any insight, please do. Thanks.
  2. dterry

dterry Active Member

Apr 14, 2006
    To some degree it depends on your budget - if you are looking for a full complement in the higher end, or one of the smaller versions of these libraries.

Looking at the higher end, EWQL is an excellent library (Gold - 16 bit, stage mics only; or Platinum - 24 bit, 3 mic positions). I haven't used VSL yet, but it seems to have pros and cons for some composers (UI at least), yet is a great library as well. Another option is Sonivox's Symphonic Collection (formerly Sonic Implants). I should have this one coming in the next week or two - it's a smaller hall recording but from what I hear/read so far, it sounds superb. EWQL has a larger hall (Platinum of course having both close, stage and surround miking for mixing alternatives).

If I were to start with one of the above to cover the bases, I would probably choose EWQL or Sonivox. Listen to the online demos for all three and see if that sheds any more light on the decision.
  3. CombatWombat

CombatWombat Active Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Portland, Or
    How about MOTU's Symphonic Instrument? It's inexpensive and sounds pretty darn good as well.

Oh, did I mention I am trying to sell my copy? :lol: