1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Orion 32 vs - How does it stack up?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by audiokid, Apr 13, 2013.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I need your ears! I just set-up the new Antelope Orion32 in my studio.

The tests begin. Trust your ears.

I have a beautiful piano track recorded by John Dutton which I mixed through my hybrid rig. I'm using some very expensive converters vs the New Orion32.

I've done my best to match these both. There is a HUGE dollar difference between the two converter systems.
    Which track do you prefer or can you tell the difference between these two converters?

(Dead Link Removed)

(Dead Link Removed)

Thanks for playing

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

i say track 2 is the original ... 1 is the one you ran thru the rig.

where's my prize?

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Kurt, you are missing the test here. Both are the same source and both through my system. This isn't a test about summing or my work. This is a test to see what converters you like more coming from an identical source without any SRC.
    DA sum AD . .
    One is $2995 for 32 channels and the the other is $12,000.00 for 24 channels!

One is USB and the other is PCIe.

Both were @ 88.2

4. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

My ears are not as good as they once were, and I have tuned a piano and been through a youth orchestra rehearsal today so they are not rested, but my first reaction is the second version is more clear in the treble and mid range. Neither sounds "bad".

A slight clarification: the original files were 88.2k and Chris has summed them via analog and then done ADC of the sum with a second computer creating the 44.1k files and effectively no sample rate conversion.

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Track 2 BTW is the Orion 32. Its a hell of a deal. I'm going to do a larger track count later.

6. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

To my ears, I think you could get away with either of those, so considering the price I'd say the Orion would be my choice and I wouldn't be looking back!
    Track 1 was very clear and clean, even the background noise (hammer thumps, cough and sheet music movement).
    Lots of bright tone and good dynamic range to it....but that seemed to be just as good on the Orion Track 2.
    Maybe a hint of a little less "brittle" sound off the Orion....perhaps a slightly subdued HF content which made it actually sound more pleasing to my ears...

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Hi Don,

In case you wondered, I had to remove your last Orion comparison comment only because I removed the actual files. Glad to see you listened to these and took the time to post again!

For the money, the Orion s m o k e s anything I've used so far. For MIDI, I still need my RME HDSP PCIe interface though.

8. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

LOL...I thought I had made a comment in this thread earlier...mystery solved..!!

9. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

I can definately tell that track one is the higher end converters. There is just a nice edge to everything. But the Orion is by far the best I have heard in its price range.

10. Zafrius

Zafrius Active Member

# 2 is better.Nice piecethumb.What mics did you use? It's hard to hear what you hear in your studio, b/c of the internet player.#2 sounds fatter.Took me a few listens.I would have to be in the studio.If this was a professional decision,I couldn't or wouldn't say what is better.When it comes to the web, its all about the loud war. btw, Thought I heard Jethro Tull, Locamotive Breathe for a sec. Thats a good thing.smoke

11. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

The "spot" mic was a Royer SF12in Blumlein and the stereo pair in the audience was a pair of C414XLS in wide cardioid-loosely ORTF in spread. This was a live recital performance of a retired 80yo professional. If you want more details I can dig out my notes and give distances and heights etc. Chris did a great job on the tracks no doubt in part to growing up with a pro opera singer for a mother.

12. Zafrius

Zafrius Active Member

Nice mics.I love AKG....Mic placement....An art in itself..I haven't been in a real studio since the 90s.I am stuck in the analog days.But that is all gone for hobbyists,like me, thanks to the market destroying the beauty of tape.The smell of fresh burning tape in the morning.:tongue:
    Growing up around someone that practices daily would give a person, absolute ear.If it was not for mine, I would never be a musician.I get bashed for not knowing how to read music.I create from the hip.duh

13. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

what kind of latency / track count can you get with the ORION? i am wondering about the USB as a conduit ... ???

14. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Sorry for the delay Kurt,

I'm going to be doing more testing with mine now . Its really a remarkable ADC. The sound quality is excellent as we all hear and the CP for this is the best I've used. Its so logical and quick to switch between routing and SR. Hooking this up was a snap. Plug-in and go. It works excellent on Win 7 for me. At this price point, there is nothing on the market right now that will touch this thing. Single rack, super clean setup gives me 32 ADDA at 192 with one USB cable, Crazy. . Only thing missing is a MIDI interface which isn't even a big deal for most now because USB is taking that over too.

Mitch and James have a great chat over it. Marcel BTW is one of the coolest guys around. His interviews with people in this business are the coolest!

Check this video out:

15. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Kurt, and the interested.

I’ve finally been able to do some extensive tests with the Orion, comparisons with my other brands here and its excellent! Its also been running flawlessly mixing 16 tracks.
    I also did null tests between versions and although I heard remainder, I cannot honestly tell them apart enough once I'm at soundcloud to favor one over the other side by side. The Orion is excellent and 32 channels ADDA... its a no brainer. This is the deal of 2013..

I've read people are all over the map with issues on this unit but its really looking to me like people are running systems that are goofy or something. And who knows what all the other conflicting things people are doing. As a stand alone for me, I've experienced nothing but smooth.

Update: I'm now on 24 channels DA and no different. Very smooth.

16. Gette

Gette Active Member

audiokid, Is the Orion still treating you well? Was considering it as My I/O between PT/Logic and the Amek.

17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Hi Joel,

Sorry for the delay, I've been fishing my butt off for a few weeks!

I really like it but keep in mind, I'm on PC and mixing 24 tracks DA. I've only done a few tracks AD so far. I have no idea how the latency stacks up or how its working on Apple.

18. audiokid

audiokid Staff

PS

I'm also using the USB which is working flawlessly however, I've heard it may be a big "plus" getting a MADI PCIe card like RME makes and you would be golden. A lot of people are super happy and some are experiencing bugs. You know my opinion on why I think we have bugs and problems which is due to compatibility issues with third party plug-ins. You going hybrid, I don't think you'll have a problem but best to audition one if you can. Hope that helps.

Call or email Marcel in LA. He's awesome. I have a contact number for you if or went your need that. Tell him you are a past Mod on RO and wondering about it! He will be really helpful.

19. tbone

tbone Active Member

audiokid, how are you feeling about the orion now that its been a while, get a chance to put it through the ringer yet?

thanx

20. audiokid

audiokid Staff

connected via Madi interface, excellent.