1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Osa vs. Bae 312a

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by theAdmiral, Apr 5, 2005.

1. theAdmiral

theAdmiral Guest

I have a couple of api 512cs. In my opinion they are great for certain applications, (drums, bass, guitars)but I need something more suitable for vocals, cymbals, etc.... I saw Osa makes several different pres. Do they make a pre with a bit more mids, and top end? I need a something with less smear on the highend. Bae 312a maybe?

2. theAdmiral

theAdmiral Guest

c'mon, no one has used any of these? I just got my tax return, it's decision time.

3. THeBLueROom

THeBLueROom Guest

Never heard either, but from what I keep reading the BAE 312 has a cleaner top end and full low end that the API. I have the API and love it, but you're right it doesn't work on signals that need to be pristine.

4. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

The OSA MP1-L or MP1-A will give you the most clean top-end compared to the BAE 312 or the other OSA Pres. The high-end is extended and detailed on both the MP1-L and MP1-C.

The MP1-A is more neutral overall in terms of frequency and tone. The MP1-L has slightly more coloration, more than color, it's sound scape is wider and has more front to back depth than the MP1-A.

I own BAE 312s, they are most similar to the MP1-C model, very close. The MP1-C is tighter and clearer in the highs than the BAE 312 to my ears. The BAE 312 is softer and more subdued in the highs and mids. The OSA MP1-C has a gentle roll off above 13-15k.