Output volume

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by logamos2001, Jul 19, 2005.

1. logamos2001

logamos2001 Guest

allright to in pro tools le when i want to bounce to aiff, what do i do to get the correct volume on output. i have my sessions master fader almost clipping. but then the outcome is super quite. i know for fact u dont NEED to hire a damn mastering person to do such. so what, do i bounce, make a new session and then volume it up t here? what do i do?

2. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

If you "know for a fact" that you don't need to hire a mastering engineer, you need to learn to master yourself.

I seriously don't recommend learning on tracks that you're intimately familiar with.

But if you want to get it "loud" (not "good" - just "loud") you can just ram it into a limiter until it starts to fall apart. You certainly wouldn't be the first.

Doing it for yourself for demo purposes and such isn't too big a deal. If it's something for public release, IMHO, you shouldn't take the chance. I don't even master my own mixes. It's totally self-defeating.

But if "loud" is what you're after, try a limiter and see what happens.

3. JSRockit

JSRockit Guest

What are some general settings for the "brickwall" limiting I keep reading about?

4. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

A brickwall limiter doesn't generally have general settings.

If you have to ask how to get a mix loud (and good sounding) then you probably do need a mastering engineer.

5. JSRockit

JSRockit Guest

I understand I could use a mastering engineer, but since I am not making money off my music...I am just trying to understand what I am doing wrong and how to fix it.

6. TrilliumSound

TrilliumSound Active Member

You may have done nothing wrong and your mix is at its max volumewise, that's it. If you want to bring at the next level (pro level) and commercially competitive then you have to go at a Mastering facility and the ME there will take itto the next level with his tools and the most important; his/her Experience.

Best,

Rich

7. JSRockit

JSRockit Guest

Trillium, the problem is that the last CD I made was so much louder...and I haven't done anything different. I'm baffled. This isn't low like a little lower than a professional CD...this is alot lower to the point of it being useless.

8. mixandmaster

mixandmaster Active Member

Make sure the "source" for your Bounce to Disk matches up with your master fader?

I don't know what else you could be doing wrong without seeing the session, but I'm guessing it's just a simple oversight - happens to all of us. Maybe book an hour, take it to a studio, spend the $50-$100, and be done with it.

9. JerryTubb

JerryTubb Guest

I'll say it again... exactamundo! 8)

you can't expect a master magician to reveal his bag of tricks for nuthin' :wink:

10. axel

axel Guest

jerry tubb wrote:

Damn Right !!!

11. Massive Mastering

Massive Mastering Well-Known Member

What bag of tricks?

12. axel

axel Guest

That One.

13. heathen22

heathen22 Guest

Just ram it through an L3 multi maximiser (lots of others do),you'll get a crap sound but it will be loud and possibly painfull to anyones ears who listens.

14. logamos2001

logamos2001 Guest

mixandmaster, what was that u said about matching the bounce sourse with the master fader?? someone explain PLEASE!!??

15. lucidwaves

lucidwaves Guest

Maybe if you are turning the mix or track buses down so that they are not clipping then there are some kind of transient peaks that are causing the percieved low volume. If this is the case, find out which track (or tracks) that are causing the peaks and put a limiter on it (them). That way you can bring the song level up. This is just a shot in the dark since noone here can actually see what is causing this without actually having the project in hand.

16. soundfarm

soundfarm Guest

Some research is in order here!

If going to a mastering house is just simply not in your budget and you need to master your own stuff (I'm cringing just thinking about mastering a mix by the same person, same room, same equipment), then AT LEAST do the research and read up on mastering. There is no "magic formula" for mastering and you're not gonna find it here. There are plenty of net resources out there. As many other have done, I recommend you read Bob Katz's book "Mastering Audio". (go to http://www.digido.com to order. There are some really good articles there as well). Just keep in mind how people listen to the music. First impressions are everything and if the fidelity and consitency on the CD is garbage, then as far as most listeners are concerned, the songs on the CD are garbage as well. This is part of the value add of a good ME, such as the ones in this forum. Maybe if you ask nicely, one of them would be so kind as to give you a free sample of one of your songs so you can hear the difference for yourself. Just my two cents.

17. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

It's called dynamic range and it's not a bad thing when used correctly.

That's truly the answer to your question. You're probably getting peaks due to transients that are quite loud - often several dB louder than your normal program material.

The limiter or compressor is used to tame those peaks. The good side is, if used correctly, this can bring your program material to levels that are more appropriate and don't have you reaching for your volume knob.

The bad thing is - if you use it incorrectly and "squash" the hell out of the signal, that "dynamic range" is no longer existent. Now the track is boring and loud - kind of like women. :twisted: (Don't get me wrong, they're great when they're quiet!! - BTW, I'm only typing this cuz my wife is nowhere near me...)

Now, here's the lowdown on mastering engineers.

It is truly a combination of art and science. One can have all the technical knowledge in the world, but without serious music background, you won't be able to master crap. The inverse is also true.

The categories of ME's (Mastering Engineers) on this site run the proverbial gammut. You've got the "big boys" or the ones who truly do nothing all day but master big albums.

Then, you've got the amatuer ME's. And of course, there's the novices.

Personally, I lump myself into the amatuer category for a few reasons.

First, I don't have the equipment the "big boys" have.
    Second, I don't have the experience the "big boys" have.
    Third, I don't have their clients either.

However, I do have a good ear (classically trained musician performing for over 24 years) and some pretty damned good equipment too.

I've been offering this to tons of people and I don't understand why they're ignoring me or downright turning me down -- but here's my offer -

Send me the track in .Wav or .AIFF (MP3 would be okay, but not preferred) and I will work on it. I will then return it to you and with your permission, post the original and the master on the forum here and explain exactly what I did. (Not trying to give away the "tricks of the trade" though).

Why am I offering this? Frankly, I would like to build my mastering chops and I don't want to try to master my own stuff (that's a sure fire disaster!)

My only request is that later in life, I may desire to list the band as one of my mastering clients.

J. :cool:

18. logamos2001

logamos2001 Guest

o wow that sounds great. how should i go about getting it to you?

19. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

I'll contact you off-line (or on-line, I guess)

20. logamos2001

logamos2001 Guest