Over Compression- Over Limiting?

Discussion in 'Mixing & Editing' started by ALAMASARESTONEHAND@YAHOO., Jun 20, 2004.

1. I always read about the great recordings you should listen to, to hear the best mastering jobs. Without being overly critical what are some recordings I should listen to to hear over compression, over limiting, etc. You don't have to step on toes here it's just important thing to know. :D
  2. djui5

djui5 Guest

The last Korn album is pretty squashed..
  3. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Oberlin, OH
    Home Page:
    Go to http://www.digido.com for a listing of some of the best mastered CDs of all times.
  4. cruisemates

cruisemates Active Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Home Page:
    I read somewhere the new Avril album is squashed like a brick
  5. Randyman...

Randyman... Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Rush - Vapor Trails.

Do a search on Google, and see if you can find the review of it. It has screen shots of the horribly clipped waveform, and describes how we got to this discusting point in dynamics.

Later :cool:
  6. younglai

younglai Guest

Vapour Trails Review

Yeah that's a really good article. It's by Rip Rowan at http://www.prorec.com and the mastering article is right on the front page "So you've done everything right..."
  7. tripnek

tripnek Active Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Every CD I've heard in the last 10 years is squashed to death including mine. Every one has to have that super volume level to please the Radio stations.
  8. Just for the sake of hearing what you mean can anyone put up a copy of their mix then a properly mastered one and a smashed version. I have only been involved in the recording buisness for four years so I would really like to hear some benchmark tests.
    You would think if it is really all that bad, then public buying it would say something, and then again maybe not. Im not sure if the average music buyer can tell a well made recording from a poor one anymore. If the situation is really as bad as eveyone seems to believe it is, how can we change it.