1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Over The Shoulder (Gtr)

Discussion in 'Recording' started by gato1976, May 30, 2003.

1. gato1976

gato1976 Guest

Hi, i always read posts recomending the "over the shoulder" position to mic a guitar. I understand that you put a mic over the shoulder of the player (Duh!) but... pattern polar? Omni to simulate the hearing of the player? Which microphones would you recommend (Condenser/dynamic, Large/short diaphragm, etc.)? Right or left shoulder?...

I also want to know if i can put another mic with this setting. If so, do i have to pan them? How should i blend them? What i'm searching for with this new microphone ? Is it for depth?

As much information you can bring me, the more thankfuyl i'll be!!

Kind regards to this forum!!

Mariano

2. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

as I have a semi live room with stones, bricks and wood, I do not use an ambience mic for capturing acoustic guitars. One condenser watching the hole, not directly in front, let us a say reasonably angles, so as to avoid that 30HZ punch and another condenser looking around the 12nd fret.
    Then I open them hard L/R panned as a start. If a second acoustic guitar is tracked as a "My sweet Lord ( George Harrison style rock ballad), then ya pick up the second one with similar technique and separate both L/R for start.
    Always check the phase and verify mono compatibility. Sometimes a little tweak or very little placement adjustment can make wonders to you, much more important than all this nightmare of going 88.1/96k/192.
    For nylon acoustic guitar, pay attention to finger details, nails and so.

:)
    Hope it helped ya

3. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

I meant 230Hz ( hyped low end/low mids)
    :)