1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

overhead mics - Matched pair or not?

Discussion in 'Drums' started by gie, Oct 16, 2001.

1. gie

gie Guest

Hi there

I've got a question for all of you

Let's say (for example) that you have to record a drumkit and there are only 2 options for the overhead mics.

a) 2 cheap small condensators (identical)

b) 2 expensive large condensators... BUT...
    They are not identical, cause one is the "tube-version" of the other... So they sound a bit different....

What would you choose... and why?

(And let's assume here that this is not a 3mic recording... so we have everything closed miked aswell... and let's say it's for a rock band)
    OK? ;)

2. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

Without hearing either your cheap small condensators or large unmatched nice condensators, it's impossible to answer. Also the style of music and songs are important to consider. "Rock" could mean anything from Air Supply to Marylin Manson

Which one is better? A Jedi thinks not of such things. Listen to the song... The song will tell you what to do.

3. monty teebaum

monty teebaum Member

Originally posted by gie:
    Hi there

I've got a question for all of you

Let's say (for example) that you have to record a drumkit and there are only 2 options for the overhead mics.

a) 2 cheap small condensators (identical)

b) 2 expensive large condensators... BUT...
    They are not identical, cause one is the "tube-version" of the other... So they sound a bit different....

What would you choose... and why?

(And let's assume here that this is not a 3mic recording... so we have everything closed miked aswell... and let's say it's for a rock band)
    OK? ;)

try once m/s with the nice one's, for m/s you don't need a matched pair.

4. nessbass

nessbass Guest

Do you have to record in stereo? Try to do everything in mono, which - at least to me - sounds best anyway. I would therefore try to use one of the large condensers as overhead and the other as room mic. Try to record without hihat mic. If it sounds bad, add one of the small condensers.

David

5. gie

gie Guest

Originally posted by nessbass:
    Do you have to record in stereo
    David

well... I like to have the Ride on one side, and the hihat on the other... So Yes...

6. Adam

Adam Guest

I have an AKG C1000, would this be a good overhead if I get another like it? What are some decent overhead drum mics?

7. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Hate to tell you, Adam, but the C1000 is reviled for having hyped, exagerated and harsh high frequencies out of proportion with the rest of its band width. Some like them and find them useful, but many who have used them hate them. I suppose if you were doing multi-miced eighties style drums, with spot mics on everything else and heavily eq-ed overheads just to get the cymbals, these could work for that sound, though I don't like that sound, personally.

For inexpensive overheads, the MXL-603s are very affordable at around $80 each and quite nice (there were some initial quality control issues, but I haven't heard complaints lately), and the Audix TR-40 measurement mics are good at giving a musical and accurate image at under $200 a pop.

(I'm assuming your budget is modest, if you have cash eager to take a journey, you can get lots of input around here on how to spend x amount of money to do y task. The other thing you'll get is the wisdom that your mileage may vary.)

Bear

8. Adam

Adam Guest

Bear, Thanks for your advice.