1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

P4 Cooler for 3U rack case???

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Live-Audio, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Live-Audio

Live-Audio Active Member

So I just moved my recently acquired (used) 2GHz p4 setup into a 3U rackmount case. Problem...the cooler that was on the motherboard when I got it (a CoolMax Aero) is too tall by about 3/8". I need to find a cooler that will fit in this case and not contribute too much noise. Any suggestions? Something fairly common that I might find locally would be great as time is an issue.
    Thanks,
    JTC

2. Live-Audio

Live-Audio Active Member

In case anyone else has this same problem in the future, I solved it. I first tried a Coolermaster that was very similar to the stock Intel cooler. I got pretty nervous because as the cpu approached 80-100% usage the cpu temp was exceeding 60C. Max for a P4 3.0Ghz is supposed to be around 69C. I just wasn't comfortable with it. I ended up witha Zalman 7000B-Cu. The CPU now runs about 50C at 90-100% usage. At idle it falls below 40C. The Zalman cooler came with a fan control but I'm not using it. I'm letting the motherboard control it. It's running 1800-2000RPM but it's not too loud. I've got other fans in the case that are louder and require some attention.
    JTC