Pan controls are acting like a volume control

Discussion in 'Location Recording' started by doofus, Apr 15, 2007.

1. doofus

doofus Guest

howdy all...first post here and hope you can help.

At our church we have a Yamaha MG16 mixer....anyways....a couple weeks ago everything was fine....then we come in for practice and the pan controls are all jacked up and are acting like volume controls. Unless you keep them centered they will either raise the volume if you pan left or decrease volume if you pan right.

We have no idea what caused it or how to fix it.....

Any ideas or thoughts?

2. If mono material was recorded entirely to the left channel of a stereo track, panning the track hard-right would effectively kill the signal. It'd be helpful to know more specifics, but the result seems reasonable and fixable.

3. doofus

doofus Guest

Its not recording or recorded material.....its live. There is a problem with little kids running around and messing with things and we think maybe one of them got their little paws on the mixing board.

4. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Double check your assignment switches and pans. Make sure the outputs are assigned correctly. If they are assigned to mono, then there ya have it.

5. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Are you taking the main stereo outs via jacks or via the XLRs? If jacks, I suggest that the R out jack has been unplugged from the R main stereo out and re-plugged in the L Control Room out. In this way, you would be getting two left outputs, so the pan controls would appear to act as faders.

If you operate the Stereo/Group monitor button or the 2TR in button, do you lose one channel? Also, you could check whether the phones output is panning correctly.

6. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

I'm just guessing the right channel is not working. Is it?

7. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Dangit. I hate when someone asks for help and doesn't reply. It was probably something really simple and overlooked.

8. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

9. doofus

doofus Guest

I haven't had a chance to try all your suggestions yet...but I do appreciate the help...
    Thanks!!

I'll let you know what happens.

10. sheet

sheet Well-Known Member

Sweet. A reply.

Gaff tape works well as child care during rehearsal.

11. Brian Field

Brian Field Active Member

Hey doofus, have you had a chance to try the suggestion YET? :cool:

I'm having the same issue with my headphone amp. I'm guessing that one of my TRS Patch cables is fluky. Hopefully i'll figure this out soon enough...

12. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Probably an amp has been switched to parallel mono and is sending the left channel input to both outputs. Pan law accounts for the rise in level when you pan left.

13. bouldersound

Dang it. Don't resurrect threads that are years old.

14. Brian Field

Brian Field Active Member

Who cares if they are old as long as they are relevant.

It turns out for me that my issue was with my Samson S-Phone headphone amp. There is nothing wrong with the unit (I don't think), but when I plug the signal into the aux input on any of the channels, it does this - but not if I plug it into the main "inject" connector. I thought that the Aux ins on this thing were balanced stereo... oh well.

S-phone.jpg

15. bouldersound

Your problem has similar symptoms but a somewhat different cause. TRS connectors can carry stereo or balanced, not both in one.