1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Pan problems with emu 1820m

Discussion in 'Recording' started by maestrobeatz, Jul 15, 2005.

1. maestrobeatz

maestrobeatz Guest

Hello ??????

How are you doing? Can I ask you a question about how to set up the pan during audio recording. I'm more a composer then a engineer and I'm having some problems to setup some new gear. Somehow I'm loosing sound in the centre of the sound spectrum.

Can you tell me of my sound-chain is setup right for panning.

I start with a stereo sound of [for example] a piano. It is generated from a sound module and connected with 1/4 balanced jacks into two mono strips from a mixer. In the mixer I setup the pan in the left mono strip to fully left and the right mono strip to fully right.
    The stereo output of the mixer is then connected to a soundcard - EMU 1820m - into my PC. Here the sound is going threw a bus system and I only know that you always have to setup buses fully left and fully right.
    In the PC - Cubase SX3 software - I setup the pan in two mono strips in the centre.

Is this right what I'm doing with the different possibilities for pan?

How to pan two mono strips in a mixing board for a incoming stereo sound? Do I pan them fully left and right or do you pan them in the centre?

How to pan the stereo bus in the soundcard for a incoming stereo sound? Is it correct to pan them fully left en right? The soundcard communicate with Cubase SX3 threw ASIO 2.

How to pan the stereo strip in Cubase? I think there is no other way then to pan this to the centre.

Is it better to work with two separate mono strips for a stereo sound or can I take a single stereo strip? Does it make any differents?

I do hope you have some time to answer my questions, I really appreciate your help.