Parametric EQ recomendations

Discussion in 'Graphic / Parametric EQ' started by RobertPhilbeck, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Hello all,
    I am looking for a parametric eq that will be used exclusively for equalizing the final mixes. $500 is about my limit, and I am not opposed to buying used. What brands should I look at?

Thanks,
    Robert

2. noizboyz

noizboyz Guest

Check out the Speck ACS.You won't be dissapointed.

http://www.speck.com/asc/asc_2.shtml

Rob

3. ivet

ivet Guest

add another 0 to your budget and go for the gml :)

4. Jim Chapdelaine

Jim Chapdelaine Active Member

if you're going to add zeros, go all the way and get a Massive Passive. Other than that, you're better off with a plug in like the Oxford or Waves.

5. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Has anyone ever used the tube ART EQ? They are cheap and I have been wondering about them. I used some ART tube mic pres that worked very well on a remote gospel chior I did on location once in Oakland CA. They compared nicely to some much more expensive Neve 1272 and API pres I used on the gig. Fats

6. e-cue

e-cue Active Member

$500 on a stereo bus? ehhhh Filterbank plug in is the closet thing I'd use in that price range.

7. cjogo

cjogo Guest

The Speck---Orban 642b---( also a certain DBX model designed by Orban)--UREI 540---still quality for $500^^^^^

cjogo

http://fp2k.redshift.com/cjogo/crystalrecording.htm

8. rayman

rayman Guest

Robert wrote
    I am looking for a parametric eq that will be used exclusively for equalizing the final mixes. $500 is about my limit, and I am not opposed to buying used.

Aphex and Symetrix make one that are $50 under $500 brand new :( . This is more than likely your three picks for new stuff (there are others out there to), there are many used units out there that may or may not be better (because of use) but have it checked out if your not sure about it. If your useing a DAW there are to manyplug-insfor me to list here. Where are you located? I can find some thing that you can use if your con-fused :confused: about what to buy.

good luck
    Raymond Ward
    A.S. Recording Arts

9. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

I wouldn't put a "$500" eq across my mix...leave it for mastering...unless you can find a used GML for $500. That point of the chain (the final stereo bus) is TOO important to stick something across,IMO :cool:

10. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

I agree. I would not put any kind of hardware EQ in the $500 range across the 2-bus. Say goodbye to your stereo image detail.

11. geosync

geosync Active Member

I would save your $500.00 and pay for Mastering. You'll get a lot more than EQ.

12. kia288

kia288 Guest

I just completed a home studio Gospel album and mixed Everything into my MB Quart Vitalizer as final EQ. the artist let a few mastering studios listen to it.They raved about my sound. Of course I used other tricks like waves,Tc, Mpx-1, for flavor etc...