1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Patch cords

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by tripnek, Feb 26, 2004.

1. tripnek

tripnek Active Member

I read this today in a review of the Sebatron.

"Be careful if you daisychain the channels to not use a guitar cable as it could damage your vmp-2000e. Instead, use a 1/4 unbalanced patch cable."

Forgive me if I'm an idiot, but isn't a guitar cable nothing more than a 1/4 unbalanced patch cable?

2. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

More or less, yes. A patch cable may have lower capacitance.. ]

Could you post a link to that review?

3. I found the review at http://www.mojopie.com/vmp2000e.html

I don't know what he means by 'damaging the 2000e', I can't think of anything that could damage the DI input by using the wrong cable
    and I don't know what he considers the difference is between a patch cable and a guitar cable.... A phone jack on each end and 2 wires between makes a cable..... Makes me doubt the guys technical knowledge more than anything...

4. freaky

freaky Guest

Maybe it's because patch cables have rounded ends? Really, I have no idea why that would be, but I am curious. :confused:

5. tripnek

tripnek Active Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I guess a patch cable may have slightly less resistance due to length, but beyond that I have no idea what the guy is talking about.