Patchbay Layout

Discussion in 'Patchbays' started by Earthless, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

Hi

Ive been working on a layout for my first patchbay. Its gonna be a switchcraft or redco with dsub connectors.
    Main interfaces is the Zed R16 mixer and the RME UFX. My "studio" is one room only, in my livingroom so its basically just me messing around playing, recording and mixing. Im sharing my layout here in case anyone wants to take a look at it and share some feedback. It would be nice to have other peoples opinion and advice as i have not much experience with patchbays.

96 points PATCHBAY R16 & UFX CLEAN LASTCROP.jpg 96 points PATCHBAY R16 & UFX CLEAN LASTCROP.jpg

2. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

Hey there Earthless, just saw this on the other thread.....I think that looks like a good start, but I'm not completely clear on all your equipment you have and how it will all be used still. There can be certain things that don't need to be "patched" and just left connected to certain devices all the time. I was thinking about the ZED's 16 "insert" send/return points? That could be something that you want on a patchbay....I suppose if you wanted to change things over to the RME that works and doing both would add even more patch points and it looks like you have all your bases covered for inputs and outputs.
    Just some thoughts/questions. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with even better assessment of your layout..:cool:

3. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Looks reasonable to me, but you could push these things around for days while not getting any mixing done.

4. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

I had to skip the 16 inserts as well as effect send/return on both preamps and also preamp line inputs, along with some IO on the UFX.
    So its far from perfect, but as you say hopefully a good start :)

5. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

Im not sure if i get what youre saying, but it sounds like a warning :eek:
    Somethings that should be different ?

6. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

here's a few things to look at .....

http://www.tapeop.com/tutorials/29/basics-patchbays/

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec99/articles/patchbay.htm

https://www.google.com/search?q=patch+bay+lay+outs&client=browser-ubuntu&hs=e30&sa=G&channel=fe&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=rX4kVbOrBo3toAS_nIH4AQ&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1128&bih=616&dpr=1.09

7. audiokid

audiokid Staff

8. Boswell

No, not a warning of any sort ... just poking a bit of fun at how time-consuming setting up a patchbay can be.

9. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

Hey Kurt. Thanks for helping out. Some interesting stuff here.

10. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

Have been thinking about monitoring options here. I have two main outs that i want to use. Main out from the Zed R16 and XLR outputs 1 and 2 on the UFX. My monitors are active stereo pair and has xlr inputs (A77x). Right now monitors are connected to UFX and its fine as long as i have my computer on, but when using only the R16 without computer i obviously need to listen to the main outs. Should i connect all outputs to the patchbay and switch between them manually as i like?

11. Boswell

When I'm using a similar setup to yours, I usually take my computer outputs (from the UFX in your case) into a pair of the stereo jack inputs on the Zed R16 and my monitors from the Zed's main outs, then there's no patch cable changing needed.

12. djmukilteo

djmukilteo Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing...I really don't see having monitors on a patchbay...

13. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

When you say you "take your computer outputs into a pair of the stereo jack inputs...", is this done via a patchbay?

14. Boswell

No, go direct from the UFX outputs to one of the Zed-R16 stereo inputs (probably ST3 or ST4). You then have push-button control of whether the computer outputs are sent through to the monitors. If you use a little bit of care to match the levels, you can do instant comparisons between the generated analog mix and the computer replay.

15. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

Got it(y) The UFX has XLR on outputs 1 and 2 which i suppose are meant for monitoring. So in this case i will need a XLR (from ufx) to TRS (into zed ) cable, right?
    Does it actually make any difference whether the cable has XLR to XLR connectors or TRS to XLR ? Soundwise its the same result right ?

16. Boswell

You need a pair of XLR(F) to TRS plug cables. The balanced stereo inputs on the Zed R16 are TRS jacks only. If you wanted to, you could use jack outputs on the UFX, when a pair of TRS-TRS leads would be needed. It's just a matter of what you patch in TotalMix.

17. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

Ok, seems like a good idea to use stereo input 3 or 4 on the R16 like you said. I will try this.

The thing that confuses me most at the moment is that if i get a 96point patchbay with db25 connectors on the rear i will need
    breakout cables with 8 jacks or xlr. So i have been trying to figure out if i can use trs jacks on the in and out of the gibson echoplex and mesa boogie studio preamp. Theres nothing in the manuals on this. And if i understand this correctly its ok to use a guitar preamp like the studio pre or avid 11R connected to the patchbay. But mic preamps with phantom power should be avoided right?

18. Kurt Foster

if you stop and think for a second .... picture a 1/4" input jack .... 2 terminals right? insert a trs jack and what do you have? tip connected to the tip terminal, sleeve connected to the sleeve terminal and what is the ring connected to? nothing! it "floats. this is fine. ts into trs ok. trs into ts, not so good.

19. Earthless

Earthless Active Member

So if i use a dsub cable with TRS jacks from the patchbay, i can connect these TRS ends to all processors whether the sockets on the processors are balanced or not?

20. Kurt Foster

should be fine!

edit: trs to ts unbalanced inputs is ok. balanced 1/4" outputs to ts plug, no good. you will need to lift the sleeve (-) conductor on the connector.