1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

PC Notebook Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by cdp, Jan 12, 2003.

1. cdp

cdp Active Member

Hi There.

I posted this in the Producers forum, but I think you guys in here may have more experience...

I'm looking to get a notebook for audio purposes, but nothing too fancy. I travel alot, and I like to be able to edit projects on the go.

I'm curious about processor types and speeds, as well as brands. Will amd processors cut it, and do you have suggestions regarding speeds? How about celeron? I'm scared to death of celerons!

As you can see, I don't want to spend too much $$. I'm getting rid of my p3 1gHz, trying to get something a little better...

Thanks!

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Get yourself a Toshiba satelite system...they rock. Just been playing and tweaking one out all weekend...things are workhorses, quiet and very user friendly!
    Use P4's for laptops as they run cooler than AMD CPU's do.
    HTH
    Opus

3. cdp

cdp Active Member

Thanks Opus,

I own a satellite right now, a p3 1gHz, which has served me well. Right now I'm in Canada, where p4 prices are a little high, and since this isn't my primary system, I didn't want to spend too much cash.

I'm also a bit afraid of the other brand names, some of which I've never heard of before. But I'll keep in mind the recommendation, especially regarding the p4 processors.

Thanks again!

Charles

4. Fredrik

Fredrik Guest

I've used a Dell Inspiron 8100 with great success for over a year now.

I use the RME multiface on this machine. Great for working on the road... Software is Logic/Giga/Acid.

Maybe it's worth looking into the "new" Inspiron 8200 with P4 processors?

Regards,
    Fredrik Lidin

5. musicmonster

musicmonster Guest

6. hemal

hemal Guest

I use the 828 mk2 and its cleaner than my old echo layla24 system i think the specs are 109db A weighted on inputs and 111 on output. Rock stable, cuemix is the most brilliant system i have ever seen for monitoring with effects. Reminds me of an openended DSP Factory. I use a TC M300 as my monitor fx unit cause most of my clients are south asian and when they sing, they love to load on the verb as a monitor effect, it apparantly helps keep them in pitch. Anyways the 828 mk2 is the best setup i have ever had and i use it off of a Dell 5150 p4 3.06 ghz 512 ram and my firewire drive. ITs brillian!! definately up there. Dedicated phone volume control and main outs tonnes of io, great latency .

i paid like 2800 tax and warranty in for my 5150 for it in july and it has been the best daw i have ever used and its mobile. the prices have dropped like a rock and i know their in the 1600 range.

Good luck

oh yeah it works like a charm with the motu 828 mk2. Am i repeating myself?? it does not work with the digi 002 rack for some dumb reason but digidesign stuff is overrated. Use your ears not your tools.

7. Sam DeFranco

Sam DeFranco Guest

I use a Dell 8600 with a 1.7 GHz Centrino. It way out performs a 2.2 GHz P4 Dell that I used to have.

8. tubes2bits

tubes2bits Guest

What size screen is everyone using?