1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

PCI Bandwidth Limitations

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Digger, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Digger

Digger Guest

Well I have been steadily beefing up my PT LE DAW over the last year or so and I have pretty good set up. I recently purchased a Wave APA44 and I am running UAD cards as well. I am currently run everything off of a Carillon P4 3.2GHZ w/ 1GB of RAM

Despite all of this external DSP power I still ocasionally run into 'issues' when recording with plugs. I record primarily acoustic music so it is not completely unusual for me to record 18 tracks at a time. I record a 24/48 so it is not like I am using insanely high sample rates.

I have to adjust my hardware buffer size to about 256 which is livable but barely so when tracking. I couldn't figure out why I was having issues and than it dawned on me, I have 2 UAD bards and an added Ethernet adaptor filling up my PCI slots.

It occurred to me that I may dealing with bandwidth limitations in my PCI bus. I haven't been keeping up to date on all the CPU and motherboard trends for PC but who has the beefiest PCI bandwidth? I would love to hear some suggestions, thanks.
  2. Digger

Digger Guest

:roll: Anyone! maybe I should move this to a computer forum, perhaps it is too computer techie.
  3. doubleJ

doubleJ Active Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Branson, MO
    Home Page:
    Are things being released for pci-x? There should be more bandwidth available for that. Plus, mobos won't have pci slots forever.