1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

peavy vmp2 tube switch / upgrade

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by mikE@THECAVE, May 24, 2004.

1. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

if I pick one of these up ,is it best to switch out the tubes with others??????what other tubes?

2. sdelsolray

sdelsolray Active Member

Besides tubes, Jim Williams of Audio Upgrades can do a rather extensive mod on the Peavy pre. I haven't heard one modified, but I would expect an improvement.

3. frob

frob Well-Known Member

do you have link to this mod?

4. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

do you know what the mod cost?

5. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

thanks for the info ray

6. sdelsolray

sdelsolray Active Member

http://www.audioupgrades.com/

7. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

i have some pics of another guys upgrade of the peavey if you guys want them and smatic

8. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

Thanks who is helping me on this post.?Wow I dig this Preamp real tubey sounding but in a good way.Wonder what it would sound like with a mod---Oh Man i just found out that Audio Upgrades does the mod for 475$ thats alot of money .he puts jensen transfomers and MIT capacitors new tubes and some other stuff

9. sdelsolray

sdelsolray Active Member

Probably worth it. Dunno how much you paid for the Peavy, but assuming about $700, you'd end up with a great keeper pre for about $1,200.

10. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

I got the pre for 400$ ----I had just been searching the net for info and all of a sudden there it was.That happen to me on a guitar a while back--perfect timing I couldn't let that go

11. frob

frob Well-Known Member

could you post the schematic?

12. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

i will send the pic and smatic is alittle hard to see

13. ShellTones

ShellTones Guest

I see some guys trying to sell these for $1,000. The norm is about $700 as sdelsolray mentioned. Great find!

I'd go for the mod if I was going to keep it. Skip the mod if I might sell after a couple of years 'cause I doubt you'd get your money back out of it.

14. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

I dont think ill ever sell it but thats alot of cash.Maybe ill just switch the tubes out for now.

15. sdelsolray

sdelsolray Active Member

If memory serves, there are many tubes in the Peavy. Upgrading the tubes to something worthwhile (e.g., Mullard, etc.) is going to be spendy all by itself.

16. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

I was just sitting here thinking the same thing.New tubes come with the upgrade electro harmonics i think 9$ a piece.What do you think would be the most sound changeing part of the upgrade?The jensen trannys??- one guy said he put mullards on the output and it sounded real nice.There are 4 per channel --One 12at7 on each of the ouputs--total 8--the other 6 are 12ax7

17. sdelsolray

sdelsolray Active Member

Check out these sources for tubes:

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/

http://www.vacuumtubes.com/

Link removed

http://www.audiotubes.com/

It's a whole new area.

18. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

Thanks Ray

19. Skeetch

Skeetch Guest

I talked with Jim at Audio Upgrades awhile back on the VMP-2 mod for mine. As others have reported, Jim's description of the mod is quite extensive and he puts alot of work into it apparently. I recall that the price of the mod - as quoted by Jim - was around $400.00 due to the amount of work and cost of parts that go into it. I love the sound of the VMP as is but having had my Masterlink mod'd by Jim I'd imagine his AMR mod is quality and probably makes the pre sound even better.

20. mikE@THECAVE

mikE@THECAVE Guest

yea its $475--no doubt in my mind its gunna sound alot better with the mod.---What tubes are you using in your vmp2?
    Since i dont think ill be using it for stereo recording I was thinking of telefunken on one channel and mullards on the other .That would give me two different sounds.What do you think