1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Percentage for Engineer/Producer 10%?

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by petreestow, Aug 9, 2011.

1. petreestow

petreestow Active Member

Apr 14, 2006

I'm going to try to make this quick and to the point.
    I'm recording a 12 song album with an engineer (I play the instruments, he records and throws in idea's for sounds every now and then) I don't make a lot of money so I've been paying him like $200 a song which I know is low (considering we've been working for a few months on these songs to try and get them as best as they can be) He wants to make a contract with me stating that whatever I make with these songs as an artist in "net profits" he wants 10%. He doesn't want part of the publishing, just whatever I were to get paid for putting it into a movie, album sales, etc.

I'm wondering if that sounds like a fair deal or if he's asking for a lot...and what a fair percentage would be to give him. Also, should there be a time restriction (like 3 years) Say I do become sucessful...I'm wondering how much else I'm going to have to payout for other things such as a manager, what a record label is going to take off the top, etc. What else is in store?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone
  2. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Moderator Resource Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Western Pennsylvania, USA
    My input - I'll keep it short.

If he's providing cheap recording services, ideas, sounds, etc. 10% sounds reasonable to me.

I wouldn't restrict the duration to just 3 yrs. - it will be in his best interest to use his contacts to help you succeed. If there was to be a limit, I'd make it longer.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a typical percentage for a artist manager is probably around 15%. (which is not the same as a booking agent)

FYI: A major label takes about 95% "off the top".
    Indie labels, on the other hand, are wide open to negotiation.
  3. petreestow

petreestow Active Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Thanks for your suggestion dvdhawk!