1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Performing at an Open Mic

Discussion in 'Recording' started by ThirdBird, May 28, 2011.

1. ThirdBird

ThirdBird Active Member

I've played/sung at larger venues before, but never at a coffee house open mic. It was really weird. What are you supposed to look at? My darling wife claimed that my eyes were closed the majority of the time. I think it would be weird to have a moment where I made I contact with people. It would just be awkward. What do you guys do?

Thanks!

2. aaronwaudio

aaronwaudio Active Member

I think closing your eyes in a situation like that is totally appropriate. Making eye contact wouldn't have to be awkward though. It could engage the audience more. A good way to do it is to focus right above people's heads. It gives the impression that you are looking at everyone at once. Works really well and you wouldn't have to make direct eye contact. Give it a try.

3. thatjeffguy

thatjeffguy Active Member

To me, when I watch a performer whop closes their eyes I feel cut off from their performance. I also feel that the performer lacks confidence and is hiding from the audience. It takes a bit of practice, but well worth it for you to consciously work on your stage presence... you can't be 'present' if you're hiding! I usually look at a group of people on one side of the stage, lingering for several moments before moving to another area. Moving too quickly or too frequently conveys nervousness, lingering conveys confidence. After a while you'll enjoy the contact and it won't be awkward at all.
    Jeff

4. moles

moles Active Member

Look directly at the spaces between audience members' heads, at eye level, or just above people's foreheads. It's a good way to fake it until you gain the confidence to sing directly to people.

5. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

I look em all in the eyes and let em know that I own their souls.....It makes em want to request songs that mean a lot to them.....Which I charge em for....

6. ThirdBird

ThirdBird Active Member

thanks for the responses, stuff I will definitely work on. best answer award goes to davedog.

7. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

I do what my Dad suggested from his many years of giving speeches and as a layreader in the church...visualise the audience as a bunch of folks sitting around in their underwear. That immediately puts me at ease, it is a very popular method.

8. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

If there are beautiful women in the audience it is important to have the guitar in your lap when you do this.

9. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Bob beat me to that one.......One good thing about that is you imagine the entire Victorias Secret catalog.....

10. moonbaby

That gives new meaning to the term "lap steel"...
    Hhhhhhmm Victoria's Secret ulala !

11. ThirdBird

ThirdBird Active Member

Moonbaby, the incredibly funny thing is that we play tropical reggae funk. The lead guy plays a lap steel. It is all starting to come together now. For real, thanks!

12. moonbaby

13. vtvictor45

vtvictor45 Active Member

Some times when ever we sing a song in a deep concentration then then our eyes will automatically closed and its a fact

14. vtvictor45

vtvictor45 Active Member

Some times when ever we sing a song in a deep concentration then then our eyes will automatically closed and its a fact