1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Phantom power through a studio snake box

Discussion in 'Recording' started by overlookfran, Apr 16, 2005.

1. overlookfran

overlookfran Guest

simple question: will the 48v travel through a studio snake box?

2. billblues

billblues Active Member

you didn't say what length and wire size were but I believe the 48v phantom pwr is direct current so voltage drop shouldn't be an issue. is the snake going to be used for live or recording?

3. ghellquist

ghellquist Member

Yes. It will go through the snake without problems. Of course snakes may be made differently, so generally the ones with XLR contacts on both ends will be what to look for.

Gunnar.

4. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Absolutely. In most cases (like 99% of the time) you're all set.

If you have doubts though, just turn on the Phantom power and lick the XLR jacks on the box. If it tastes like burning, you've got a direct phantom output. When you wake up, turn off phantom and hook up your mics and then fire it back up again. :-?

Oh, I pitty my interns. :twisted:

Enjoy.

J.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guests

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been having problems with my car? Will it work if I try it on my car battery? :? :-? :shock: :? :-? :(

6. took-the-red-pill

took-the-red-pill Active Member

Yes, except when you wake up there is a white light, and soft music, and the guy in a robe and sandals standing over you says in his most incredulous voice: "What the Hell are YOU doing here!?

You try to answer but what's left of your tongue just can't come up with anything.

Good question though

K

7. VulcanDC

VulcanDC Active Member

LOL.... :D :D :D

I hope overlookfran didn't stick his tongue into the XLR port.... ;)

overlookfran, Just make sure you mark the snakes which carry the power... ( saves time during a session.. :) )

8. dpd

dpd Active Member

Funny, Cucco - that's how I've tested 9V batteries for 35 years.