1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Phasers vs. Flangers

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Paladyne, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

I am familar with both of these types of sounds, but I do not really understand what a Phazer is. I know a Flanger mimics tape flangeing. How can one explain what a Phazer is, and how it scientifically is different from a Flanger. Thanks in advance!

Eric

2. Steve Halko

Steve Halko Guest

The Phase Shifter was the first attempt at using electronics to emulate tape flanging. Real flanging requires a time delay, which was very difficult (and expensive) to achieve back in the late 60s. Phase Shifters use a series of all-pass filters in order to shift the phase of the signal. This phase-shifted signal is then added to the original (unshifted) signal.

In a flanger, the signal undegoes a time-delay, then is added to the original (un-delayed) signal.

In both the phaser and the flanger, the resulting frequency response has a series of notches (which represent those frequencies where the original signal and the time-dealyed (or phase-shifted) signal cancel each other. If this frequency reposnse is plotted on graph paper, the series of notches look kind of like the teeth on a comb, so the circuits are also known as comb filters.

The difference between a phaser and flanger is in the positions of these notches. In a flanger, the notches are equally spaced, because the time delay is the same for all frequencies. In a phaser, the phase shifting looks like a time delay, but can be different for different frequencies - so notches in the phaser are not necessarily equally spaced, and therefore sounds different than a flanger.

3. Paladyne

Paladyne Guest

thanks, this helped to clear that up for me!

Eric