Philips Microphone System

Discussion in 'Location Recording' started by ptr, Apr 18, 2008.

1. ptr

ptr Active Member

Let me first start with; I'm an uneducated twat! :wink:

But can someone give me some simple instructions on what the "Philips Microphone System" consists of. Or even better, a nice picture would be brilliant!

Someone gave me a CD of piano music today (Schumann, made in Japan) recorded with this "System", asking me, how it was done and I was stumped...

Please, someone educate me!

/ptr

2. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

I am not sure but maybe this is the system that was used. Please read the whole article.

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/phmil.html

3. ptr

ptr Active Member

Very interesting article! The Phillips mentioned here seems to be a singular (cardioid) mono mike, I'm quite sure that the set up used on the CD I have is stereo (btw; recorded in 2003)... I might ad to my first post, that this CD includes two other recordings set-ups, a normal AB (presumably with omins, called "One point microphone system" on the cover) on some tracks, and a "Decca Tree" on one track.. Besides these hints, the whole booklet is written in Japanese, a languge I'n not very fluent in... :cry: :cry: :oops:

/ptr

4. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

ptr,

I was thinking more about the way it was recorded (on to magnetic movie film) and less about the microphone placement. Why don't you drop a line to the record company and ask, the worst that can happen is that they won't reply,

5. ptr

ptr Active Member

I've done that to! Atleast hoping for an english translation of the booklet...

/ptr