1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Phoenix GTQ2

Discussion in 'Recording' started by cybership, Jul 15, 2001.

  1. cybership

    cybership Guest

    Harvey,
    While searching the news groups I found a post of yours that mentioned
    you were using a Phoenix GTQ2. As you probably know it's not easy to get your hands ( or at least my hands ) on the Phoenix preamp without getting in
    line for a long wait. I had narrowed my next mic pre to the Great River
    MP-2NV but the EQ section on the GTQ2 makes it very tempting. How does it stand up with the EQ bypassed as a preamp only?

    Any one else who has experience with these two pieces please feel free to
    chime in.

    Thanks,
    Robert
     
  2. hargerst

    hargerst Distinguished Member

    Originally posted by cybership:
    Harvey,
    While searching the news groups I found a post of yours that mentioned
    you were using a Phoenix GTQ2. I had narrowed my next mic pre to the Great River
    MP-2NV but the EQ section on the GTQ2 makes it very tempting. How does it stand up with the EQ bypassed as a preamp only?
    Robert
    Sorry, but that wasn't me - I've never used the Phoenix GTQ2. But Geoff makes great stuff and I'm sure it's an incredible unit. As for me, I'm VERY happy with the MP-2NV.
     
  3. Jon Best

    Jon Best Active Member

    I think it was Hank Alrich you're thinking about- he's got serial number 3, I think. He loves it, and apparently it's got a buttload of gain, if you need it.

    Originally posted by hargerst:
    Sorry, but that wasn't me - I've never used the Phoenix GTQ2. But Geoff makes great stuff and I'm sure it's an incredible unit. As for me, I'm VERY happy with the MP-2NV.
     
  4. cybership

    cybership Guest

    Sorry Harvey. I think Jon is correct. I must have confused you with Hank.
    Or would that be Hank with you? I don't know I'm confused. Glad to hear
    your happy with the MP-2NV though. I know it's not an exact Neve clone
    but do you feel it has all of the Neve tone? I'm not looking for the straight
    wire sound of the MP-2 but something that definitely has Neve character.

    Robert
     
  5. Kevin F. Rose

    Kevin F. Rose Active Member

    Originally posted by Jon Best:
    I think it was Hank Alrich you're thinking about- he's got serial number 3, I think. He loves it, and apparently it's got a buttload of gain, if you need it.



    Yes it was hillbilly Hank...
    Hello my name is Kevin serial # 001 and I am addicted to the GTQ2. I have worked with 34115(4) Neves and 1073s and the few things that the GTQ2 lacks it makes up for in tone.
    It kicks the $*^t out of the broadcast modules and sits up there with the 1073/1089 in the preamp realm.
    The EQ is limited but extremely useful. I wish 50hz was on there but more often than not the EQ isn't used.
    Thick, creamy and highly 3 dimensional is a good description of this fine unit. Piano, drums, vox, guitar and piezo pickups love this thing. I have only rejected on one source because it was to clear with how it dealt with tambourine transients.
    Great thing and worth the trouble to get it.
     
  6. Ang1970

    Ang1970 Well-Known Member

    Originally posted by Kevin F. Rose:
    I have only rejected on one source because it was to clear with how it dealt with tambourine transients.

    Thank you Kevin, for one more excellent example of "there's NO SUCH THING as the perfect pre/mic/etc!" Had you been stuck with just that pre, you would have been forced to prop a pillow up on a mic stand, or some other such nonsense.

    Just for curiosity's sake, what pre (and mic) did you end up using?
     

Share This Page