1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Please convince me to buy a Neve..

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Twood, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Twood

Twood Active Member

I`ve been reading up one a lot of the topics conserning preamps / Microphones. One thing strikes me: It seems there is a general agrement on the fact that the microphone itself has the biggest influnce on the sound in a signalchain..

So.. cashing out 3K for a Neve.. Is it really worth the money??

Ok.. before everybody jumps me and start hitting (I know Neve has a God-like position in the world of recording) let me just explain what I meant by that sentence.

I was just thinking that maybe (MAYBE..) it would be just as good to get a decent preamp for, lets say 1/3 of price of a Neve, and instead spend more money on a GREAT Mic.. (like a C-800G or something)

Actually.. To be honest, I dont know what I`m rambling on about here. The fact is I REALLY REALLY REALLY want a Neve. Even though its a lot of money..

I guess all I want from you is to, as the topic states, convince me to buy a Neve. I`m this close to buying one. I`m standing on the edge, someone please push me..

By the way.. I seem to be leaning towards the 1073DPA. Is that a good choice?

2. MilesAway

MilesAway Guest

You don't need to settle for a "decent" preamp for 1/3 the price of a Neve; There are many *GREAT* preamps in the $1K-$2K range (many based on Neve designs) that will still leave some cash in your pocket for a killer mic. More-so if you're willing to buy used.

I know it's a tall-order, but *try* not to get hung-up on a name and just use your ears. You'll end up happier (and possibly richer) for it...

3. stickers

stickers Active Member

I will not convince you to buy a neve pre. I have never used one.

Although, I am really happy with my mackie onyx pres.

BTW, the more and more I record, i've realized the gear doesnt matter as much as the talent and their instruments and respective gear and of course me the engineer.

4. Twood

Twood Active Member

Stickers wrote:

That is indeed true!. I started out recording about 3 years ago. And even though my equipment has basically been the same the whole time, I still can hear a huge quality improvment when I listen to takes from various timeperiods. From my first childish steps to things I`ve recorded just a coupple months ago.

I guess the whole Nevething is in my head.... But still... Its like buying a Ferrari, maybe you dont REALLY need it, but you still want it...

I`m trying to slowly turn my modest setup into something good. So eventually I need more gear... But as I`ve stated above: I couldnt agree with you more; a good engineer can make magic even if the equipment is not hi-tech...

I still would like some statements from people who have actually used a Neve and can compare it to other stuf.

5. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

6. Midlandmorgan

Midlandmorgan Active Member

One thing to remember (from my experiences...) many times people are in search of a magic bullet, that once they get it, doesn't live up to their expectations....nothing can describe my disappointment when I first played a 59 Strat, for example...

Nathan is dead on when it comes to trying things out in real world applications before financially committing ..,you may find the Neve sound is NOT what you are after for your particular situation.

7. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

One 1073 next to another 1073 can be day and night in their differences. One clone next another can be almost a perfect mirror image.

No denying the influence Mr. Neve has on the recording world.

Perhaps a Portico.....Its a Neve. It would give you enough budget to get that C800.....which I'll bet a buck will sound SPECTACULAR through the Portico.

But seeing as you are in Europe, your chances of finding a pristine Neve might be a bit better than here...
    So.....1073 with a Soundelux U195.

Theres a nice chain.

Follow Nathans advice.

8. Twood

Twood Active Member

Davedog wrote:

I actually bought two u195 two weeks ago...

As I said, I`ve been using the same mediocre stuff for three years and when I finally got some new equipment (2x soundelux u195.. 1x Royer 121 and 1x Great River NV1-MP) I was so satisfied I got triggerhappy and started thinking "neve`ish" thoughts right away..

Anyway....

I still have some storecredit at Vintageaudio... and I still have some $ "laying" around...

Maybe a John Hardy M2?...

9. Davedog

A Hardy with the transformers....NOW were talking!

Dont forget that Geoff Daking makes a tremendous mic pre also.

10. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Well, I am a snob! I own, 2 beautiful 1974 built/1978 installed vintage Neve consoles, with their inductor core equalizers. That's 2, 36 input boards! I am parting one out currently. The microphone preamplifiers also contain the equalizer. This is not a repackaged line converted amplifier, item as so many Neve "microphone preamplifiers", are. These are also not the 1073s but 3115s. Not as versatile an equalizer and not all class A. I have reconditioned the modules and all of the controls and switches are reliable. I am selling them for $1500 each.

I can supply them with or without a power supply (for an additional cost) and of course will include all documentation, regardless.

If you're interested in one or two, contact me at remydavid@cox.net

If you stick an SM57, in front of a guitar amplifier and crank any of the mid-band frequency equalizer controls (to taste) to an extreme position, you will instantly recognize this sound! These are all original.

11. alexaudio

alexaudio Active Member

Just thought I'd mention I was just trying out a Portico and would advise getting an older vintage Neve or something else. Once the Portico gets hit with any low end bumps below 15Hz, it temporarily shuts down. I was dissapointed that it also did not have any way to truly ground the unit (wall wart feeling connection). There are better values. Sorry Rupert, this one isn't up to snuff. :(

Alex

12. Twood

Twood Active Member

I know that this enormous hunger for gear is not "politically correct" but still... After about two weeks of experimenting with my new mic`s and the great river pre I got to say: Wow.. I`ve been recording for years with nothing but a Behringer/octopre and some 57`s.. I guess its an OK start and sure, you can get a decent sound if you know what you`re doing...

BUT..

I just did some takes of electric guitar with my new royer 121 & u195 and it is SWEET!!!...

I`ll see if I can post a sample..

13. Twood

Twood Active Member

there you go...

http://

Its nothing big.. just me strumming some tunes while I tried out the mics. Its an mp3 so the quality is not that good, but still.. you get the picture...

14. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Active Member

If you have to be convinced you don't want it that badly

15. Twood

Twood Active Member

The Architect wrote:

Yeah I know.. I guess I got carried away.. But still.. Its a Neve... I`ve heard people talking about neve for the last 5 years.. Makes you think: There must be something special about this stuff..

But I`m really happy with my Great River...

16. Davedog

Twood...with the mention of your previous chain, I can imagine the sound of the GR is miles and miles above it in terms of width,depth and tone.

Just remember theres a LOT of pieces to this gear puzzle....A lot of folks have high-end gear and NEVER get the hang of it....The reasons are myriad....but most involve the 'bug'...Once bitten, a lot of decisions are made that might not translate sonically for your individual needs.

Could be a vintage Neve is not a piece that would be correct for you and the sounds you want to achieve.

Could be an API is the right piece. Remy mentions the 3115 Neve module. An actual mic-pre module from a Neve console....Not a line amplifier, or a talk-back module or a sub-bus driver.... This might be the one for you...Who knows??!!

Whatever you choose to add to your collection, remember there are lots and lots of very good sounding pieces to be had....Vintage as well as new.

It all comes down to what your ears,your work methods and your requirements are as to which piece sounds best.

Me personally, I like em all the same in a great big box full of knobs....10 feet of buttons....It can say Neve,API, Harrison,Sony, MCI, any of em.....

Its still gonna be me doing what it is I do.....And its gonna sound similar no matter what it is.

17. Twood

Twood Active Member

DaveDog wrote:

Yeah.. It is a long way from "sm58 through a behringer" to "Soundelux through a Great River".

What surprised me most was how much easier it was to get a good sound with that kind of equiment... With acoustic guitar for ex. I`m used to moving the mic(s) around for 2 hours before I am satisfied (sometimes I`m not satisfied at all.. Most of the time actually). But with the 121/u195 it was like stealing candy from a child.. I moved the mics around a few times.. check for any phase problems.. and Voila!!.. The tapes are roling...

But still.. I admit I got carried away. It dont need a Neve.. I know that now. (now that I`ve "landet" and got both feet on the ground)

The API3124 for ex... Seems to be a good choice at a decent price.

18. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

I just listen to your sample and it is very sweet! Nothing like a ribbon microphone I always say! Truly beautiful sound you got. Lovely stereo effect as well. Keep it coming!

19. Twood

Twood Active Member

RemyRAD wrote:
    Thank You!!... And thats just me fooling around, tryin out the mics. I cant wait to record someone who can actually play guitar..

I played a Strat through a MesaBoogie TremOVerb (2x12 combo). The mics I used was a Royer 121 and a Soundelux u195. The royer went through a Great River ME 1NV and the U195 went through a TLAudio 5001 Quad Valve Preamp. The reverb are from TC Powercore..

I`ll se if I can post the whole thing later...(with vocals)

20. Kuzan

Kuzan Guest

Go on. Buy the Neve. You know you want it. Nothing you buy is goung to sound as good to you. Just do it. Get in the car, drive down to the store and pick up the Neve. :twisted: