1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Please educate me about. . . Plug-ins

Discussion in 'Recording' started by TACurtis, Aug 14, 2003.

1. TACurtis

TACurtis Guest

What are they? My gut inkiling is that they are software patches that add functionality to audio/MIDI programs like Cubase, Cakewalk, etc. Is this correct?

Currently I'm using Cubase VST Score 5.0. The VST stands for Virtual Studio Technology, which leads me to believe there are a bunch ofplug-insfloating around out there that would turn my Mac into a "virtual studio."

Am I correct? Where do you findplug-ins What kind of stuff is available?

T.I.A.

2. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

Curtis, which daw do you use?
    PT for example, uses TDM, RTAS, HTDM and Audiosuite.
    There are lots of crap out there, believe me-
    I hope Behringer is not the next to pick the boat -lol

Waves, UA, PSP, Line 6, Sony, MC DSP, Crane, Bomb Factory, GML, TC, Lexicon are some that do fine products.

3. TACurtis

TACurtis Guest

Soplug-insare stand-alone items? How are they integrated into a computer recording program?

(FWIW, my DAW is a Tascam USB-428.)

4. white swan

white swan Guest

Not as I understand it.plug-insadd functionality to a particular software/hardware system. By themselves, they are usually useless.

Non-music systems utilizeplug-instoo, like Photoshop or Quark. They perform specific tasks that the base software either cannot do at all, or doesn't do as well.

5. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

Think how rackmounts (plugins) add versatility to a mixing board (DAW software), and how different rackmounts require different interfaces (system format) like 1/4 inputs or XLR inputs (DXi or VST, etc). You can use converters (wrappers) to utilize different connectors and cables to certain extents. Viola ;)