1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Please Help Me Check Monitors

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by DonnyThompson, Jan 9, 2015.

1. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

This is an OTB mix, ( 2 DAW workflow) but instead of using my go-to Monitor One's, this time I used Tannoy Reveals 6.0 (passives) as reference NF's, to test them out and see how they translate to other systems. (Power Amp is a Hafler Trans-Nova 1500).

I've had them for quite sometime, just began using them about 4 days ago... I'd like to hear comments using the song below as a reference mix. Lead Vocals and Keys are performed by my friend Terry, backing vox and all other instruments are me. Drums are Superior Drummer.

View: https://soundcloud.com/donnythompson/compassion-samp-mix-jan-9-14-full-render

I uploaded this as a 44/24 .wav file, not an MP3...( although, what I don't know is, if even as a wave file, SC might still be adding some kind of file compression).

Sound Cloud has been adding some weird EQ and phasing artifacts, intermittently, with my recent uploads lately, when I use MP3's, even at higher res rates of 250 and 320.

Hopefully this .wav will be okay. So far, it sounds like the .wav file, "pre-upload".

Anyway, if you can let me know how this mix sounds on your monitors, I'd appreciate it.
    (low-end heavy/shy, mids and hi's as harsh/smooth, etc.)

And, FWIW, I don't care if you are using expensive monitors or cheap computer speakers - all are welcome to comment.

Looking for more of a reference critique than a mix critique, but also understand that these can go hand in hand... so feel free to advise in any way you feel might be helpful.

I need to know if I should be keeping these around as another accurate reference source, or if they are skewing the sonics to where I should dump them.

d.

2. DonnyThompson

Is anyone else hearing a quick "bump" right at the top of the track? Or is this just me? There is no artifact like this on the original .wav file.

3. DonnyThompson

Mix using Monitor Ones (passives)

View: https://soundcloud.com/donnythompson/compassion-samp-mix-m1s-jan9-15

4. Makzimia

Makzimia Active Member

Good morning Donny, I'll get back to you shortly :). Going to listen on the gaming PC with Harmon Kardon 2.1 system.

5. Makzimia

Makzimia Active Member

Ok, so, first mix so far. As a keyboardist, to me, I hear a lack of depth in a few places, too low in the mix maybe?. Great sounding, love Superior Drummer too, my go to when my drumming sucks or I can't get someone else.. MOST times. There are some over zealous bits of snare going on. While I love a good pistol crack, it's overwhelming the mix in a few spots. Terry and your vocals combined sound stellar (Doobie brothers almost). Guitar may even handle a little more boost. Overall, other than a slight swirl, which may be related to Terrys organ sound, I love it.

6. Makzimia

Makzimia Active Member

And, finally, monitor ones, you know I mixed on a pair of them for years. You can tell you are used to them immediately :D. I hear more depth in Terrys piano instantly, vocals etc too, more clarity, separation in general, less swirl :D.

My .02 for what it's worth.

Tony

7. DonnyThompson

Thanks Tony.

The "crack" on the snare was intentional, as a request from my client, who wanted something completely different than the original version (Todd Rundgren) which I'm pretty sure, was a Linn snare. It's boxy and beefy, he was looking for something not as thick.

In short, it was intentional. I don't normally mix a snare in at that level, at that compression, with 3.5 k boosted. I thought the kick was hot too, (both of my versions) it's also a bit hotter than where I would normally put it, but I think it works for this song. Bass guitar was a Hoffner. There is no guitar in the original Todd version at all... we almost didn't put one in ourselves. In the end we decided on a Nylon for the riff and for "chinks" on the 2 and 4 during the verses to melodicize the back beat.

Here's Rundgren's version, if you wish another reference. I don't think that ours is even close. We weren't attempting a tribute cover, we wanted to make it our own.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4ICBrhQ-c0

I'm not sure if I'm just still in the acclimation period of the Reveals, or if they really aren't up to par - or - if it's just because I've mixed one the Monitor Ones for so long now. But I've adjusted to other pairs of monitors in the past a lot quicker than I am these Tannoys. But I also think the 2nd mix is better as well.

Thanks for listening and commenting, I really appreciate it. ;)